"Wireframe" Hull in Rhino

Discussion in 'Software' started by 14berlin, Feb 23, 2022.

1. 14berlin

14berlin Junior Member

Hi, I'm trying to model a hull with two chines. Because of the chines I cannot model it with just horizontal sections.
    I achived an ok result in Fusion360 by drawing the chines in the side and top view and then projecting them into one 3d-curved line.
    The problem is that due to the parametric nature of Fusion it's tedious work to fair and edit the hull. On the upside horizontal and vertical sections will always align perfectly because they share a point where they intersect and the result is a proper linesplan.

I then tried to model this hull in Rhino but I cannot find a way where the result is editable in a usefull way. Meaning that for example I can drag a point from a horizontal section and the vertical section adapts. This way I can never see if an adjustment in one view leads to fair lines in the other views. And I don't like the Idea to model the hull from just one view and only be able to see the linesplan once I lofted and contoured the surface.

What is the best way to do this? How do you model your hulls in Rhino?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Trying to model by moving control points in Rhino never worked for me.

The only way I ever got a good result, was to learn Crv2View.

For example, if you draw your elevation chine lines, and your plan chine lines, you can generate the 3d curved ACTUAL chine line, by selecting them both, and using Crv2View.
    Make sure you Fair the Plan and Elevation lines, then you can use Fair command on the Chine lines,

After that, the Sweep2 (Sweep 2 rails) command will generate a Surface between 2 chine lines.

3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

How much experience do you have with Rhino?

A 3D curve can be created from two planar curves in Rhino using Crv2View Rhinoceros Help https://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/7/help/en-us/index.htm#commands/crv2view.htm
    Crv2View works with History. That means if History is used a curve created using Crv2View will automatically update when one of the input curves is modified.
    Rhinoceros Help https://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/7/help/en-us/index.htm#seealso/sak_history.htm
    Rhinoceros Help https://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/7/help/en-us/index.htm#commands/history.htm

4. 14berlin

14berlin Junior Member

Thank you, I will look into Crv2View. This sounds very similar to how I did in Fusion.
    However I have zero experience with History in Rhino. Might be a good opportunity to change that.

5. 14berlin

14berlin Junior Member

After some practice I was able to build a network of fair waterlines and stations. Now I'm struggeling with creating a round bow.
    For a flat or a sharp bow it's no problem to sweep all stations with the keel and the chine as rails. But I want a perfect vertical bow with the same radius across all waterlines.
    So I drew all waterlines tangential into the same circle and tried a surface network. This looks like it could work with some refinement but I cannot use the network for the whole hull because some waterlines run back into the keel. And if I patch the hull together from different surfaces the transistions aren't fair.

If I create a flat or a sharp bow and chamfer it, it won't be straight anymore. Any ideas on how to solve this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      79.2 KB
      Views:
    • bow.jpg
      bow.jpg
      File size:
      19.4 KB
      Views:
  6. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

It looks to me like you are trying to incorporate the intermediate chine lines in your developed bow.
    I would try just doing a development using the upper most chine, the bow line, and the keel.
    eg just use the Lines with the green next to them
    temp.png

7. 14berlin

14berlin Junior Member

I tried many variations but I couldn't get the curve network to work. I think I have a clean and fair solution now:
    I incorporatet the radius in the keel into all blue sections/stations. I then "cut" the bow so that all lines end at a flat bow 10mm behind the real bow. I swept all surfaces and used match command to fair everything.
    For the final part I extruded the bow contour (orange) and used blend command between the extrude and the rest of the hull.

Blend and match really helped me with a lot of radiuses. A friend gave me the tip to bild a tube around edges and use it as a cutting tool. Then fill the gap with a 5 degree surface and match it to both connecting edges with curvature mode. This gives smooth zebras.

bow.jpg

rwatson likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.