Winch Machine for Docking Undocking

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Leopard, Sep 24, 2022.

1. Leopard

Leopard Junior Member

Hi,
    We would like to buy winch machine for our dockyard. Could you please tell me what are the things we need to take into account to purchase a perfect winch for docking and undocking. So far I have understood I need to buy a friction winch.

We would like to dock maximum 800 T (lwt) vessel using our winch on 1:17 slipway
    A few things that are in my concern:
    1. Drum Size: How to select size
    2. Power: Primarily we are thinking of Electric Driven, Diesel seems costly;
    Could you please let me know your opinion about the advantage and disadvantages of both type?
    3. Hydraulic: Should I go for it?
    4. Winch Control System
    5. Gear Ratio: How to select Ideal Gear ratio?
    6. Pulling Capacity:
    7. Pulling Speed: What is the ideal pulling speed?
    Could you please also let me know difference between pulling, friction and anchor winch?
    Please enlighten me if there are many other things that I need to take into account.

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

<facepalm> There has to be a European Standard. Even the UK has one.
    Code of practice for Maritime structures — Part 3: Design of dry docks, locks, slipways and shipbuilding berths, shiplifts and dock and lock gates https://www.academia.edu/35463228/Code_of_practice_for_Maritime_structures_Part_3_Design_of_dry_docks_locks_slipways_and_shipbuilding_berths_shiplifts_and_dock_and_lock_gates
    This may sound harsh, but if you have this many questions perhaps a consultation with a local engineering firm with slipway experience would be better than an internet forum. A mistake here is a way to possibly get people killed and cause millions of euros in damage very quickly.

Leopard and bajansailor like this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.