waterproof tablet

Discussion in 'General Computing' started by FMS, Aug 12, 2011.

?

what's your tablet of choice

1. ipad

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. android

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. neither

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Do they make a waterproof tablet?

2. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I love my iPad, and with gps imbedded, it has really replaced a chart plotter on board. You just have to buy a waterproof case for it. They run about $50.00

3. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Thanks Stumble. That was my second question. What nautical chart app?

4. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I use two MotionX, and iNavX. Both use free charts from NOAA, so every week you can down load charts already updated with the most recent notice to Mariers.

Motionx is like 2.99 and does a pretty good job. But is a little light on full features.

iNavX is around $50.00 but has a lot more functionality, and if you have NEMA instruments can act as a repeater. If you are really into it iNavX can also tie into an autopilot and make corse corrections from your iPad. Though I don't have that enabled... Mostly cause I can't figure out how.

1 person likes this.
  5. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Thank you again.

How does the GPS in one of these tablets compare with the internal gps receiver in a sub-$1000 chart plotter? Is there a difference in the quality of the gps between current tablets?

6. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

The gps chip in the ipad2 (only the 3G one has it btw) is a differential gps chip. There may be some technical difference, but I get accuracy of <10 foot regularly. Anything more accurate than this to me is silly for marine navigation. In addition you can use a gps through Bluetooth, or if you have a NEMA system (most modern electronics) there are wifi routers than can push NEMA output over the network.

I got the 3G one without the plan so I have an internal chip. With the 32 gig drive. It was a tad pricy, and I could have gone cheaper, but I use it primarily for work not navigation. With an external Bluetooth keyboard, the thing has really replaced my laptop for work, so in that since it was cheaper than a new laptop I would have bought. So for me the gps stuff is just cake.

As a navigation tool, I really consider it a complete replacement for a chart plotter, at less money. The free weekly updated charts though was the clincher, I used to spend almost as much on the charts as I did the chart plotter, so in that since it is half the price. Plus you get all the functionality of the iPad on top of everything else. At the same time if I was designing a system for real off shore use I would probably still have a chart plotter as well. Simply because the failure rate I would guess is less than for an iPad.

7. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Thank you again Stumble. Good to know that the ipad with internal gps starts at $629 for the 3G model. I hadn't thought about the wifi base model not having one - of course.

8. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Does anyone know an Android pad that is similarly equipped

9. CDK

CDK retired engineer

My Android pad is available with or without gps receiver, the price difference is $28. It was made by a Chinese OEM who likes to stay anonymous, either because he feared legal trouble or was ashamed.
    But for a little over $100 it came with a whole lot of "apps", mostly in Chinese and a discount coupon in case I want to sign in with China Telecom's wireless network. I bought it to satisfy my curiosity: one of my friends said he hardly needs his computer anymore now that he has a tablet.
    For me -although it is fully functional - it is a totally useless device. Too large to fit my pockets, too small to display a decent keyboard and always with a nearly dead battery when I left the charger at home.

10. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

A ziploc freezer bag is brilliant for all electronic devices, and if you leave enough air in them, they'll even float!

-Tom

11. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Could those who voted android tell which android tablet you chose?

12. die_dunkelheit

die_dunkelheit NA Student

I use a ziplock bag for my iPhone all the time, touch screen works and everything. There is a new case for the iPhone called "LifeProof" they even make headphones you can swim with, seems kind of silly to me but it's there...
    Just looked at their site again and they are working on an iPad 2 case now as well.

13. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Mine calls itself WonderMedia WM8650 with Android 2.2.
    Don't buy one, it is cheap, but still a waste of money.

14. FMS

FMS Senior Member

15. CDK

CDK retired engineer

That's nice FMS.
    AT&T says it is waterproof for 30 minutes, not 30 ft.

I am very biased. Spent a considerable part of my active life designing, building and working with computers. Once I was considered a well paid expert, but now I am faced with a product built for a totally different generation.

The absence of a keyboard and basic file manipulation tools makes me mad as hell, it feels like my hands are tied with a black plastic bag over them.
    I've wasted several hours trying to move a file from a USB stick to the SD card in the tablet, because I wanted to use the tablet as an ebook reader and the USB stick is connected to a strange adapter at a 90 degrees angle that is bound to get damaged.

Finally I gave up, removed the micro SD card and copied the file on my real computer. Do all tablet users copy that way or do they load everything through WiFi?

If I were to write this post on the tablet with the funny little pencil that came with it, it would take 10 times longer than it does now. And I still must be within range of my WiFi router that doesn't even cover my whole garden.