VW/AUDI 3.0TDI marinising

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by MihaS, Nov 2, 2011.

1. MihaS

MihaS Junior Member

Frosty

I check MArine direct web site and they seems to have good engines. But when i see weight of those engines ,i think that this is very important in pleasure boats.
    For 180ps 560kg uuuau.
    Lombardini 200-240ps --315kg
    STEYR 150-230ps -- 270-305kg
    vw-cummins 200-265ps -- 325kg
    Also volvo reduces weight,use automotive engine

2. MihaS

MihaS Junior Member

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The above link really buggered up my computer, would not respond and I couldnt get it off.

I have now!!

4. CDK

CDK retired engineer

The Mercruiser coupler is no precision product because all it does is convey the engine torque to the shaft. Because there is a vulcanized rubber element, alignment needs not be perfect.
    Centering the outer diameter is much more important: any unequal mass distribution near the circumference will cause vibration.

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

If you check out the motor will find you can have a jet unit ,
    it is made to couple straight to a Mercruiser sterndrive
    and you can have a gear box on the back for a inboard with prop shaft drive ,
    Hyundai did all these things in 2007/8 .
    Is better than the VW abecause its more fuel efficent and envromentally friendly

6. MihaS

MihaS Junior Member

Tunnels

I know that Hyundai engine is good ,but I dont know it is better than VW.
    1.Cylinder block is probably better because their unique material CGI(compacted graphite iron),they write that this material last longer than other ALU or grey cast iron.
    VW have grey cast iron cilinder block
    2. For fuel efficient i dont agree with you because VW have 550nM torq at 2000rpm,hyundai have 500nM at 2500prm. And both of them have max fuel consumption 50l/h. Bur VW have at 3000 rpm 20l/h, hyuindai have at 3000rpm 34l/h
    This are oficial nubers from CMD marine and hyuindai site.
    3.For enveroment i dont have any data.

But I didnt open this post to discous which engine is better,but for show other my project and share any dificoulties about marinisation this and other engines.!!!
    If you have any answers backuped with real meaning than I dont have any troubles.

CDK

Thanks for answer ,probably because of price od new one and yours backup I will instal mercruiser coupler and center it on outer diameter.
    What do you think about weight of flywheel,original dual mass flyweel weight 13,5kg+ clutch. My flywheel laser cutted from 10mm iron and then welded have only 8 kg + 3,4kg have Mercuiser coupler.
    Is weight of coupler very important? I know for race cars ,that they must be light.

Thanks

1 person likes this.
  7. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Mass far away from the shaft center is what makes a good flywheel.
    An extreme example is the Porsche V-8 used in the 928 and later in the Cheyenne. Instead of a flywheel they only used a starter ring mounted on three spring steel spokes.

Your homemade flywheel with only 8 kg may not be enough. I would add an iron ring with the largest diameter possible and bolt that to the existing flywheel. Use two slightly conical positioning pins so it can be mounted in one position only and machine the assembly on a lath to make sure it is perfectly round and centered.

8. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

A word of warning for plate heat exchangers in the marine environment!! It is correct that you can "pack more transfer area into a smaller volume" with them, but unless they can be completely taken apart, like industrial units, they are prone to accumulate debris that can not be cleaned out.

Volvo turned away from the plate xc's during the upgrading of the TMD/TAMD 31/41 engines due to repeated customer complaints about those coolers. So: go for tube heat exchangers!

1 person likes this.
  9. MihaS

MihaS Junior Member

I also have only starter ring and tree spring steel spokes-original mounted on 3.0tdi automatic transmition. On this i mounted homemade flywheel,I have to big center hole in my flywheel ,so i dont get enough mass. I will make new one and then attach mercruiser coupler.

Next week i will atach video with engine running.

10. MihaS

MihaS Junior Member

baeckmo

Two friends of mine have also troubles with previous volvo heat exchangers, those plates was so dirty that we cant clean them out.
    Terrible and no aftermarket units for volvo heatexchangers and intercoolers.Price of new intercooler for KAD 43/44 is 2700€

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Depends on what on the other end ( harmonic ballancer)

12. MihaS

MihaS Junior Member

Hi again

I have alot of work on others projects,so now I found soome time to proceed.
    I have been made a coupler,but the first edition wasent OK.
    The starter ring and the triangle plate I attached to flywheel,but when i sent this piece to company which balance parts like this,they call me that they cant balance it because triangle plate produces so much vibration that the machine went crazy in their shop.
    So second editon is with ensert of steel welded and then balanced, and this was OK.

Only one thing im wory is mercuiser coupler,its centered to flywheel ,but when they try balance all 3 parts together they cant balance mercruiser coupler,because insert is made from rubber.

I also made flexible raw water pump coupler,because I dont like attach rotated parts without flexible coupler. Like volvo pump is attachet direct to camshaft.

pictures
    https://picasaweb.google.com/104617184539549630057/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCOO8kO-Frf7BTA#

Probably tomorow I will start engine again and make some movie.

13. cyclops2

cyclops2 Senior Member

3 parts balanced ?

Cute setup. & a possible problem if the parts are not rigid enough to be balanced seperately.
    Becomes a Quality Control / production problem.
    The parts must be balanced seperately & have NO RANDOM weight problems during their manufacture. The rubber coupler / insert can become very suspect . However the coupler SHOULD be OK if reasonable care is done. The area of POSSIBLE unbalance is small and very close to the center diameter of rotation. It is a part that is just installed and assumed to ALWAYS be OK. To prove the rubber part is OK, a piece of the same shape is made of a RIGID METAL & installed. No vibration with metal ?? Rubber parts are being made out of balance & or, off center.

Process of elimination is employed in non rigid component suspicion. Companies are supposed to have parts pre made to quickly find which part, or more than 1 part, are at fault.

Rich

14. grenzboot

grenzboot Gerrit

I am glad to have found your project. I've been a long time looking for the information about the elektra and ECU. Customizing of the ECU have you done this yourself ?
    I hope you will share the information about the elektra. I would like my 2 V8 ZMZ to replace the VW V6.
    I will folow your project
    Regards Gerrit

15. MihaS

MihaS Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.