Use a Snowmobile engine to power a boat with turbine?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Benjamin L., Sep 22, 2022.

1. Benjamin L.

Benjamin L. Junior Member

Hi every boby,
    Have you ever tried to use a snowmobile engine to power a boat with a turbine? Thanks! I’m thinking about a 9-12’ long boat powered by a 600cc snowmobile engine. What do you guys think about that?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You should start by finding out what the torque and power characteristics of the engine are. Then you can design a boat around it.

DogCavalry likes this.
  3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

What type of turbine? Air or water? An existing turbine design or a new design?

4. Benjamin L.

I want to make a boat exactly like the Seadoo challenger 180 but much smaller. 9-12 fts (1place), using Seadoo challenger or jetski turbine. Thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

5. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

I'm assuming you mean jet instead of turbine

Most mini jet boats have jet ski engines as they are setup for weather cooling for both the block and manifold cooling of the exhaust as well. Snowmobiles have the advantage of being used where it's often cold, as such the old ones could rely on air cooling and more modern versions like my current sled are cooled via coolers in the tunnel.

If you can overcome the cooling options adapting to a jet should be fairly straightforward. Probably a jackshaft from the clutch area of the snowmobile engine. 600cc high revving would probably put you square in the range of easily sourced pwc impellers.

6. Benjamin L.

Thanks alotsfor your help! Please tell me what would you do to overcome the cooling?

7. Benjamin L.

Thanks!!

8. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Additionally inboard gas engines for boats have to comply with federal regulations for fuel systems and electrical systems. Snow mobile engines do not comply. The companies that make engines for Personal Watercraft typically redesign these two systems (they are based on the same engines used in snow mobiles) to make them as safe as or safer than the regs require. The often don't comply with the letter of the law but the Coast Guard allows for an exemption if the system meets or exceeds the purpose of the standards, that is, to prevent fires and explosions. So before you modify an engine from a snow mobile you need to look into what changes you might be required to make.

9. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

I'd be shocked if any mini jet product needs any form of emissions compliance unless your selling units for profit.

On the marinization usually guys will make a wet manifold and usually a mixer for a wet exhaust as well as fabbing up or repurpousing some type of water cooler for engine coolant. It's a fair whack of fabrication that can be spendy of you don't have a tig torch and plasma table already. Wet El isn't to hard to make nor is a repurposed cooler hard to source.

There is a kiwi forum for mini jet boats and they have lots of archived threads where fold repurposdd popular honda and toyota power plants. Honestly unless your very skilled in fabrication or really into a certain power plant I'd look for a donor jetski.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.