the most that can be had

Discussion in 'Option One' started by wardd, Sep 29, 2010.

1. klm1

klm1 New Member

The limit...

...in the U.S.A. is similar, 10000 lbs and you need a medical card(that's TOTAL weight of boat and trailer AND truck...)
    pick up a trucker's map and read all the state restriction's in it(Rand-Mcnally makes a nice one) as a former trucker just weighing in w/ my 2c worth...

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"pick up a trucker's map and read all the state restriction's in it(Rand-Mcnally makes a nice one) as a former trucker just weighing in w/ my 2c worth..."

The rules for commercial trucks are quite different from what is allowed private individuals.

http://www.2rvguys.com/towlaws04.html

FF

3. klm1

klm1 New Member

Your Info...

is: 1. Out-of-date; 2004; laws have changed; your reference is based on state hauling requirements(again, Rand-McNally is very good GENERAL reference);

2. State laws take precedence, BUT be aware ALL states take money from Feds:
    Feds laws require DOT enforce laws to reduce numbers of accidents based on accident statistic's;

3. DOT requires medical card for ANYONE hauling more than 10000 lbs total weight.(5 tons total

I'm just saying, better safe than sorry...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  4. ironmatar

ironmatar Junior Member

the most that can be had? i think this qualify.
    http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...back=boatDetail.jsp&boat_id=2280939&noOfPic=5
    2 scania 638 continous use http://webapp109.scania.com/i/IndustrialMarine/Spec_marine_workboats/DI16_52M_638.pdf 2 gearbox's connected to 1 jet drive output in this case hamilton water jet hj 403........at least thats what the data iv seen says matches and set it up so the drive can be run by 1 engine at a time for real extended range crusieing

the only things i would do by way of design change is add 4' section at a point just behind the drivers seat so a couple more seats can be fitted in and my personal boat would have a low hardtop and room for more electronic gear in the headliner forward
    and preferably either steel or alloy instead of grp but thats me
    IM

i'm basing this on the fact that getting to your favorite spot where ever that may be takes first choice to maximize fun time . displacment wont do in this case unless your fun is Driveing the boat then a displacment boat could be fun however i do not think most people that this is targeted at fall in that catagory.
    however after looking about awhile recently i ran across this http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-molds/38-retro-rumrunner-molds-sale-16945.html. for a displacment style boat

5. Harold B

Harold B Junior Member

Most of the places I desire to go are in areas where open ocean is the only route available and calm water for high speed is the exception not the rule. I prefer a dory for this type of boating safe seaworthy, small power requirment, a collapsable canvas cuddy provides camping comfort and I am considering a sail for use to save fuel usage, as fuel uses space on board I have what works for me and open water on the ocean generally prevents going real fast any way

6. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Can that 16'/18' catamaran with a 25hp outboard carry enough fuel for the required range? Can a 24' cat with retracting hulls make it work with a small cabin on deck?

I'd like to find some 6' + stand-up hulls 24' long, open rear deck using a 25hp or less outboard!

7. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Man, I killed this thread! Okay, a 30' cat! A fat cat, small outboard and big tanks.

BTW, the reason I like OBs is because a small one is easily removed and maintained, I have had I/Os and lots of hassels. Diesel stinks, they may last longer but two or three used OBs are probably cheaper than an overhaul on a diesel. I won't rebuild my engine, I'll toss an OB and get another one.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.