Sukuki single vs duo prop

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Joseph Banta, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Joseph Banta

Joseph Banta Junior Member

Hi: I’m building (well my builder is) building a new fiberglass boat for me and I’m planning to power with a 300 hp outboard. Pretty much decided to go w Suzuki but haven’t heard much about the single vs duo prop setups. Would truly appreciate any thoughts on the difference between the two as well as any reviews from anyone who’s operated the duo prop. It needs to use the Optimus SEASTAR joystick control system. Not too familiar with it either so will probably need to post in the electronics forum for info there, But any thoughts on it are welcome too. Thanks!

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Welcome to the Forum Joseph.

What type / size of boat are you having built - can you post any photos or sketches of her please?

I cannot offer any opinion re the relative merits of single vs duo propeller set ups, but I found a couple of links, copied below.

Suzuki DF300B Dual Prop Outboard Review https://www.boatingmag.com/story/boats/suzuki-df300b-dual-prop-outboard-review/

Meet the all-new Suzuki DF300B, outboard engine with dual propeller http://www.boatmaginternational.com/12404-suzuki-df300b-outboard-dual-prop-new-in-2020/

3. Joseph Banta

Thanks so much for the reply n info. Would really appreciate hearing from any users too as I am concerned about reliability w it being so new not to mention 135 more lbs ... Anthony at Cook Inlet Boats has a new 26’ mold he is building glass boats from. They have a 3’ pod and swim deck for the outboard. Dry hull will be ~ 4,000 lbs. Tks again!

Attached Files:

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Unusual strake arrangement on that boat.

5. bajansailor

6. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

300hp seems like overkill for that hull.

brendan gardam and bajansailor like this.
  7. bajansailor

What is your planned usage with this boat Joseph?
    I hope that she has positive buoyancy / floatation built in?
    Are the topsides cored with foam (which would contribute a bit to reserve buoyancy), or are they 'single skin' fibreglass?
    I would agree with Mr E that 300 hp does seem to be a bit of an over-kill for a skiff.

8. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

I have never operated that particular engine, but have designed CR prop sets. The main thing CR props bring to an OB is the lowering of loading on each prop, this allows for lower BAR wheels increasing efficiency and may reduce the onset of cavitation a small amount; both probably negligible in actual practice as they trade off against each other. An additional advantage is the reduction in prop walk in single engine set up, and for multi-unit set ups it negates the need for RH and LH units. The cost is more complexity and weight of the unit. Literature seems to state that the intended market is for heavier boats (i.e. boats thaT on a single prop would need higher prop loading), and low octane fuels.

Edit:"thaT" rather than "than"

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    bajansailor likes this.
  9. Joseph Banta

Thanks for the info. Yes - they have built a lot of Tolmans and Tolman jumbos. There is another similar design up here called the Great Alaskan that is somewhat larger/deeper V than a TJ. This design has a bit more V than the Great Alaskan.

10. Joseph Banta

Y - pos buoyancy built into void spaces, and foam core. Will have 9.5’ cabin w/ head and shower. Essentially for cruising PWS and SE AK. But also for bringing 4-5 or 6 folks out for day trips. Originally looked at 250 but the 300 was on the same power frame and essentially the same weight so ... Then kinda being pushed to the duo prop and there is more weight (~ 135 lbs).

11. brendan gardam

brendan gardam Senior Member

300 hp on that.

12. Joseph Banta

Thanks for all the replies and info - it is truly appreciated. After processing it all I think that I’ll go w the std 300. With my lighter hull there’s not really the need for the torque and quicker jump to step you get from the duo, especially w the added weight it brings, not to mention ~ $4k additional cost. Thanks again! I’m going to start a thread soon in electronics forum about my fly by wire options and instrument n nav package...

13. bajansailor

Would you also like to start a boat building thread on the Boatbuilding section of the forum your boat under construction?
    Everybody on here loves building threads, especially if you update them regularly to show your progress.

14. Joseph Banta

Sure - if I can figure out how to start a new thread ... I can drop some pics every once in a while with a description of what’s up. Tks for the encouragement.

bajansailor likes this.

15. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

Great! To start a new thread, navigate to the forum in question and near the top right, there is a blue "Post New Thread" button. Will look forward to seeing your new boat come to life!

DogCavalry and bajansailor like this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.