Stowaway 8.5 in The water!

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by Brenny H, Jun 10, 2022.

1. Brenny H

Brenny H Junior Member

I have been waiting for this Boat to show up Finished for about 4 years. Its Done! This is my ideal boat. Like a big modernised Jarcat . Im no salty Dawg Sailor , but I like sailing . Would not be spending $8000 every year to sail around the Whitsundays chartering a sailing catamaran if I didnt like it. Mrs loves being on the water fishing . Kids love to be on Tik Tok, as long as they can have cell signal they are happy.
    We Live near Tweed River NSW , so a shallow draught is nice , would need to cross The River entrance most times we wanted to sail, as Tweed river is narrow mostly, so Tacking upwind wont work.
    River is generally smooth so travelling the 8nm from hardstand to Bar would be nice at 20kn. More time sailing up and down the coast. Fits under the 12m Bridge too .
    Having too much fun and realise you left it a bit late to get to the bar at slack high tide!? No problem , should be able to get there in half the time of sailing using 100hp Genoa. No Wind? Perfect for Smooth water Travelling to Fish or wherever.
    Removable Cockpit Roof and Boom for casting the Bait/Jig etc
    At First I thought it look was weird , but after a minute or so I liked it . Kinda Funky lookin. Would like to see a pic with full Rigging . Minor changes to Cabin could be OK for a more Squared off Look if It does not suit ones eye. .
    Could this be the McGregor 26 that sails a bit better ? No heeling ,more space. Will Get the same Greif no Doubt. There are trailerable sizes of this design. One is 2.5m wide the other is 3m beam. Here in NSW you can Tow up to 3.5m wide indivisable yacht with free permit during Daylight. Probably wont do that too often as the Hardstand would be most convenient.
    Has some windage ,but this is not a point at 35* TW type. Might get to 45 * If Not Fire up the leeward 50hp and push the nose up . Need to do this in the Seawind 1160 to get TW45* with Kayaks on the lifelines up front.
    Im also thinking another 0.5m On he beam would be nice, for looks, stability , less wave interference between hulls.
    But not good for extra weight and may give up some single Marina berth options.
    A Coastal Holiday boat for 4 , or maybe Stays of a month or so for a Couple.
    Im exited to see some video and more Photos hopefully.
    Would like to see Stability calcs from builder ,before committing to a Narrow beam Cat like this for Sailing. You would have to be well aware of those numbers I believe. I believe the Rigging is Conservative for the Narrow Beam from memory of the designers description. . Not A Racer. Until you roll up the Sails and blast off at 20kn ,, hahahahaha.
    I can imagine Some abuse on Channel 16.
    8.5m StowAway launched! https://www.spiriteddesigns.com.au/news/view/2921?fbclid=IwAR3iujnKH4KrCteu-mxoj7kRMdLCI5Fvbocu_Dw-v14u3EBla-dMrJERLm4

Stowaway on Slings.jpg

Stowaway at Dock.jpg

Stowawat Interior Cockpit.jpg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    philSweet, fallguy, waikikin and 4 others like this.
  2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Excellent news! She looks very fine indeed.
    Can you post some more photos of her please, perhaps including photos taken during her construction as well?

Edit - apologies, I am a bit slow on the uptake. I initially thought that you were the builder, but I see now that the photos are taken from the designer's webpage, and that the boat was built in New Zealand.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    BlueBell likes this.
  3. willy13

willy13 Junior Member

[​IMG]
    I absolutely love how it looks from the front! Thank you for sharing

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

So, this has a mast?

5. Brenny H

Brenny H Junior Member

Yes, you can just see the base of mast above the 2 hatches . Also you can see the head sail furler. This is a Power Sailer concept catamaran. This s the largest of the 3 design sizes.

6. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Very cool. I think the concept will gain a lot of traction with fuel prices so high.

I am so curious about whether this just runs at displacement speeds.

7. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

With fuel prices increasing almost exponentially, I am going to try to pitch a case for 'small' motor sailing fishing cats to the fishermen here.
    Although they are all traditionalists at heart, and traditions die hard.
    However the cost of gasoline here is now approx US$8.40 a gallon - we can only dream wistfully about the 'cheap' (relatively!) gas that the folk in the USA have.

8. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Fishing and sailing only make sense when the voyage is long. Sailing while fishing is rather difficult unless you are towing a couple lines for fun. But sailing 3 miles and spot hopping is just not practical unless for survival.

bajansailor likes this.
  9. Brenny H

Brenny H Junior Member

No . Should be able to run 1 motor at low power, say 10hp for just under hull speed of 7kn. and also semi plane above displacement speeds.
    Cruise speed specs quoted as 20 kn cruise speed. We will soon find out real speed I hope. If the designer posts the owners early motoring speed results.
    The hulls are semi displacement type, with planning strakes to provide lift. The rear as you can see has wide flat areas to help with extra buoyancy for heavier engines and the fuel required. Also large flat areas for planning lift.
    The hulls have a deep v type lower section which should help to minimise leeward slip through the water while sailing with wind abeam.
    Here is a link to designers page for all sizes of this design.
    Power-Sail Catamarans | Power-Sail Plans | Stow-Away 6.5 https://www.spiriteddesigns.com.au/stowaway

Here is an article from when this boat was being built. I have been eagerly awaiting the final result since this article in 2018!
    https://0j.b5z.net/i/u/10210102/f/MHW_151_StowAway.pdf

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
    fallguy and bajansailor like this.
  10. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I am in final stages of 5 year powercat build.

@Richard Woods designer

8FA22785-29D7-446E-9D21-611E6A9B7496.jpeg

willy13 and bajansailor like this.
  11. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Are there daggers on the Stowaway?

12. Brenny H

Brenny H Junior Member

No . 1 swing up board. Guess if you wanted to improve upwind performance a couple daggerboards could be installed . However remember this has more windage than a pure sailing yacht, to give the headroom. Designer Mentions motoring upwind will be the usual way to go. Going upwind at more than probably 50-60* TW may be impossible. Might get to 45 * TW with the help of leeward motor. Dont compare to R woods Strider etc. More like a scooter with sails. Its a POWER SAILER. Similar to Macgregor 26 concept, but Catamaran. Sailing downwind and with wind abeam is the idea here. Family sailing if you like , not beating into a 20kn covering VMG of 3kn and everyones getting wet , the kids are scared etc.
    Looking forward to seeing your cat hit the water.

fallguy likes this.