storm sail on older trimarans

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by seandepagnier, Jun 5, 2023.

1. seandepagnier

seandepagnier Senior Member

I have a kraken 33 trimaran from 1973. The storm sail seems unusual.

There is a chainplate inboard of the normal forestay I believe for the storm sail.

There is a halyard that exits the mast above the lowers. Is this "halyard" maybe actually just a spinnaker pole topping lift and the storm jib is raised from the mast head with a regular halyard? If not, shouldnt the halyard exit the mast at the level of the lowers rather than 6ft higher?

Either way, does it make sense to have a storm jib without hanks? stormsail.jpg

2. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Does it have a wire luff? A stormsail without a stay would need one and you'd want it backed up by running backs. I'm wondering if it is more of a Spinnaker staysail?
    Seems like the sailplan is on the forum somewhere and members who have the boat can pitch in.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.