Steerable, Inboard shaft drive?

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by OCB, Dec 12, 2015.

1. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

How big are they?

2. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

A stern-drive is a steerable propshaft . Can't accuse volvo of not thinking outside the box.

Attached Files:

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"Interesting Fred but please expand the explanation on the offset the engine and shaft 3deg solution."

The concept is the prop blades that are in the deepest water are also in the densest.

So offsetting the engine and drive shaft a few deg can compensate for the prop walk.

The Atkin site has many power boats shown with this feature , take a look.

4. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

The tricky bit you've maybe skipped: In most applications, CV and Double-cardan joints are only required to handle torque, not thrust (high axial load). Complicates the situation just a bit.

5. OCB

OCB Senior Member

3 1/8 in it's round.

6. OCB

OCB Senior Member

Puller prop

Reverse inboard V drive is one of my best ideas. I will need a prop hub to deal with the 3 1/8 joint IMO.

7. OCB

OCB Senior Member

The axial and shock loads with a 42" 200 pound tire comes to a sudden stop brings very high axial loads IMO.
    Pfaff racing Huntington beach Ca. used Series 30 CV joints to get over the motors in off shore racing boats.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  8. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

I've built and raced offroad trucks, including mug boggers with 44" tires, as a hobby for about 25 years..in the interest of full disclosure. :D Gave it up back in 2004 after an accident in my MX Bronco put me out of the drivers seat forever.

But how are large axial loads created in axle or drive shafts of a truck? The source of radial loads is obvious, of course.

I am aware of at least one marine CV joint product that can take - is designed to take - full propulsion thrust loads. Used them in a couple yacht projects, in fact. But they are completely inside the vessel and are fixed in place;

http://www.aquadrive.com/

Might also be worth a good look at how the gimbal on the Arneson surface drives is made...since they are a steerable shaft drive device.

As an aside, we've (my marine engineering company) recently been requested to help with the development of an advanced vessel concept that requires a "retractable" propeller shaft line and to do that will almost certainly require a submersible CV joint capable of reacting bot the axial (thrust) and radial (torque) from the engine.

9. OCB

OCB Senior Member

BMcF,

Sorry to hear about your accident, I started in the off-road scene in the mid 80's mudding Azuza canyon Ca. I had Bronco with a Big Block Ford, 44" tires, 60/14 bolt rear. Now I have a TY Jeep with IFS/IRS, LS3 480HP , Atlas, 10" TT ring gears. I have been working with some of the top TT, Dakar, ultra 4 teams.
    I have seen and researched the Aquadrive, The low max angle on the Aquadrive won't do the job . I have seen the the gimble on the Arneson surface.
    I think the thrust load is one of the things that will need to addressed.
    BMcF if you are interested talking more about your "retractable" development project please send me a pm.

10. Barry

Barry Senior Member

Thanks, I was not sure which direction the offset was and what was trying to be achieved

11. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Steerable,Inboard shaft drive

Why on earth would you want to run anything in salty water when you can put it safely inside the boat.

Some old outboards had open lower bear boxes with no oil and were water lubricated, new material may make that possible.
    I discovered that and old outboard in my collection had been run with no grease/oil in the box for quite a while and showed little damage.

12. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Steerable,Inboard shaft drive

If you build a boat that has motor or anything offset or different you can guarantee that it will be pointed out to you that it is not in the right place or does not "look" right.
    Asymmetric design has many practical advantages, it could have prevented the deaths of many powerful WW2 fighter pilots because of the high rotational torque involved.

13. OCB

OCB Senior Member

High axial load

My new joint will do high Axial loads.

I forgot to correct my answer on post # 19 before posting #24 .

OCB

14. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

You can combine standard adjustable thrust bearings in a conventional inboard shaft drive with C/V joints and also twin U/V joints with a spline and that gives you a Retractable shaft drive if you make provisions for the propeller shaft to be raise or lowered. There are many ways to build a retractable shaft adjustable from the helm.

15. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Low load /rpm stuff you can get away with lots of fudges.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.