Solenoid valve

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by fallguy, Aug 31, 2021.

Tags:
  1. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I want to use an electronic solenoid valve to switch between livewell fill and washdown. I purchased a bronze valve for $215.

The pump control is an off/on/timer.

Does anyone know if the solenoid valve can be tripped with the same control or is sending power to a solenoid only supposed to be for a second and do I need to use a relay?

2. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Why a solenoid valve? Is it easier to flip a switch, or flip a valve handle?
    A manual ball valve would be much simpler, and less vulnerable to failures.
    What’s the timer for?

hoytedow likes this.
  3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

After further reflection, I am going with two pumps. The solenoid valve costs more than a separate pump and I can run the second pump on a timer. The other pump would be on or off with one switch and require a second digital output for the solenoid.

The manual ball valve is hard to locate because the location of the valve would be below deck and require bending over each time into a deep locker.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

5. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Gonna be two pumps. The solenoid would have required using an extra digital switch, czone output...
    7FEC6F4C-9573-4FC9-A5BE-CCB9F2F077C4.jpeg

6. Barry

Barry Senior Member

As both of your pumps will require a through hull for the inlet, you could also put a manual Y valve into the hose from the thru hull to the intake of the pump . One side of the Y going to the thru hull and the other going to a hose with a screen
    into the bilge. This would give you 2 emergency manually switched redundant bilge pumps.

7. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I am just using a tee and an open line to each pump. The tee is in a flood chamber/box. I don't need a separate intake for each. As the Captain, I can be smart enough to run one pump at a time..no? On the other side of the Attwood Tsunami is another outlet to the Jabsco.

This cat really only has a bilge back by the engines; this is a cabin. While technically a bilge; it should never see water.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.