Seeking Advice - 1978 Larvo Drift Boat Build

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by Pac12AfrerDark, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Pac12AfrerDark

Pac12AfrerDark Junior Member

Much appreciated - I will return the epoxy primer. Any reason to run the VE primer other than fill small surface imperfections?

Ahhh, the "real minnow"! I have a few downstairs. Thanks for providing your experience- going to get it returned and just run the gel coat.

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

If you sand down to the glass there will be many tiny imperfections in the surface. These imperfections aren't a problem if you're rolling on the gel coat, but if you spray then they will sometimes cause craters and pits that won't fill and level.

You can use a squeegee to fill these pits with gel coat prior to spraying.

If you desire a better surface, then a primer is used To hide every defect possible and keep the surface true.

3. Pac12AfrerDark

Another cold snap rolled in - shutting down any fairing, epoxy or gel work.

I did get the trailer back though. Looks brand new. Pretty excited - blasted and powder coated ran me almost the entirety of the 600$ budget. Oh well. I'll never have to worry about the surface on it again.

Attached Files:

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Expect more cold. It was 30 here in western Washington this morning. Beautiful but cold. A heat wave by Montana standards but headed your way. I have been trying to sort out some electrical issues on my boat and I am only able to work on it in the afternoon when it gets warm enough. It's Spring time, usually in the 70's by now. In addition to having to stay home, this weather sucks.

5. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

18F at my place near Spokane this morning.

My wife's shop is fully heated with great lighting.

My area has somewhat OK lighting and no heat.

She has far more tools and supplies too.

I sneak into her shop sometimes to do my work.

6. Pac12AfrerDark

Brr. This weekend looks promising - well see what it actually brings.

7. Pac12AfrerDark

Hey guys, quick question for those better with colors than I am.

I am trying to go from the sea foam to Audis "tropic green". I attached a picture for comparison. I bought green and dark blue tinting pigments when I purchased the gel coat- which would you think needs to be added? I'm thinking just a touch of the dark blue, but I'm better with mechanical design than colors.

Attached Files:

8. Pac12AfrerDark

Messed around with a color generator online, looks like it does need blue and green.

Weather never picked up this week. So waiting game it is!

Attached Files:

9. Pac12AfrerDark

Today was a nightmare, I decided to lay epoxy primer.

Talked to total boat, they re assured me it wouldn't foul anything up so long as I let the fairing epoxy rest a week, double wash, double acetone wipe down.

So, I figured, you know... I am no painter. I dont really know what the hell I'm doing. This primer will be easier to get off the boat than cured gel coat. So I went for it. Mixed it it up, let it set 30 mins per instructions, threw it in the gun, aimed at some cardboard, pulled the trigger, nothing.

Nothing at all, pulled the gun out. Tries to shoot some acetone, got it to spray if in hold it upside down. So being the stable genius I am, I figured... I'm not going to waste 40$ in primer. Well about half way down the side the gun is just puking everywhere.

Threw off my tyvek suit, hopped in the car and cruised to hobo freight as fast as I could - got another lvlp, swapped the cup, set the pressure, fan and flow, and VOILA.

A thing of beauty.. laid down side two and bottom like a novice.

I cant explain how happy I am I didnt waste my gel coat on that disaster of a morning.

Any ways, it dried, I blocked it out, I'm happy. Boat looks fine - a solid "10 footer" all the way.

Next I mixed in my gel coat pigments hoping my custom color would redeem me, let's just say I missed. So.. "blueish teal" it will be. I think it will look better laid out but who knows.

Here's some pictures. I am very proud of how the nose turned out.

Hopefully you get a chuckle out of the idea of me running around frantically.

And for those wondering... the fluid nozzle on the first gun was full close, and it was missing the plastic o ring.

Attached Files:

10. Pac12AfrerDark

Gel went on great, kicked over about 70% of the way through, didnt have enough mekp to finish.

Ordered more, now I wait. You can see a low spot. Oh well, progress...

Attached Files:

11. Pac12AfrerDark

Hello all you fine people.

I have made I beleive to be a tremendous error.

I under catalyzed my gel coat by about 30%, only added enough mekp for the gel coat, not the gel coat and patch aid. This has left a slightly tacky (can remove a small top layer, but not down to primer if i dig into it) gel.
    Looking at the mixing cups, it exhibits the we phenominon.

What say the exlerterts? Do I have another few dates with my orbital sander? Or so I give it a go on spray over with properly catalyzed gel.

Thanks,

-Josh C.

Attached Files:

12. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

What is 30% under catalyzed, as in, how much catalyst did you put in what amount of gel coat.

13. Pac12AfrerDark

8oz gel coat + 3 oz patch aid, used 6 cc of MEKP.

Temps hovering around 70- 80 with heaters on in the garage.

14. Pac12AfrerDark

I also did not use any PVA, just shot it and let it go.

Not sure if that matters.

15. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

That is the correct amount of catalyst.

You had about 312 grams of mixed product and 6cc of catalyst, that's 2%

What was your plan after this coat, was this the final coat, or were you putting another one over it.

You need a 50/50 mix with the Duratec clear for it to cure tack free, less than that can leave the surface tacky.

Also, did you use the epoxy primer?
    Polyesters and epoxies are not compatible chemistry wise. If the epoxy isn't 100% cured it may cause the polyester to not cure.

Plus polyesters don't bond that well to epoxies, so you have a few things working against you.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.