rebooting

Discussion in 'General Computing' started by BertKu, Jul 15, 2010.

1. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

It is the 15th of July. If your computer has crashed, and it reboots all the time after loading WinXP or Win7, this will help you to use your computer.

a) go to bios
    b) change the date to 15th JUNE !!
    c) start the computer
    after loading windows, change the date back to 15th of July. You will have the same time within a second
    you are able to work for the rest of the day.

It must be a microsoft glitch or a virus, which is not deleted by the protection. Tomorrow will se whether I am back to normal again.

Bert

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

That must be something you've picked up on the internet. If it would belong to Windows, there would have been 100's of reports by now.

3. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Hi CDK, yes I may have, but I am not the only one who is strugling with the same problem as I have described in the re-booting thread. I am considering to take a harddrive, clean it out and load a Unix type of OS on it. Today there are already enough basic programs which should give me my basic needs. I personnaly I am so sick and tired about the 70 odd thousand virusses and a few hundred thousand other problems which are associated with Microsoft. I thought that with a new computer and with Win7, the technician at the computershop told me, that I have the best protection. Another microsoft related lie. In anyway, if I can help somebody with solving the same problem, I am happy.
    Bert

4. breschau

breschau Junior Member

Protection mostly depends on yourself. Whatever OS you are using you have to learn about it. Windows type Os gets bashed a lot because of security issues. Those systems are designed to be operated by people without any knowledge of computers, you dont even need to be literate. There are many built in features for ease of use.
    There is something called remote assistance in case you need tech help from afar. That is a big security breach if exploited but, if you close it you will be unable to get remote assistance. There is some sort of server utility open by default on some versions. There is a port for printer sharing which may be open. Too many bits and pieces to name here.
    Look around security sites look around the controls inside the OS. Most of them are hard to reach because of the reason stated above. Setting up a windows system is more about finding and closing unnecessary stuff. To test how well you plugged it, you can get your computer port scanned.
    That said anyone willing to spend time on learning an OS will be better of spending that time on a linux package in my opinion.

5. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

I agree. I've been working with Windows systems for more than 10 yrs by now, and I've never lost any work or time because of viruses or trojans. The very few times (maybe 2 or 3, in all these years) that I've found a virus on my pc was due to an urgent need to get some data from other people's usb pen-drive, which were infected. And even then, a scan with a good antivirus was enough to localize and destroy the parasites.

A minimum of precautions for safe navigation through internet are, imho:
    - a good antivirus (I, for example, use NOD32 by ESET and am happy with it)
    - keep your antivirus and your OS updated on a daily (or so) basis;
    - activate your firewall and keep it permanently turned on;
    - activate browser pop-up blockers;
    - activate verification of certificates for websites and files which are being downloaded;
    - deactivate the possibility for websites to install files on your drive
    - deactivate the automatic download and execution of scripts and ActiveX components, unless provided with a valid certificate;
    - deactivate the automatic installation of desktop items

Though it may sound like too much diddling with your computer's options and settings, it is also a good way to learn how a security system of your computer works and where to find various connection and navigation settings - in case you need them in the future.

And, finally:
    - don't browse through **** sites from a work computer. A big number of **** sites are a concealed bait for reckless fish. :D

Cheers

6. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

I am also a Unix (SCO-UNIX) man grew up with Xenix , Sinux on 8 port C8000 - Z8000 microprocessors computers. But along the line I was slowly pushed into the Microsoft basket.
    I fully agree with you, but I am leaving it over to the youngsters to learn now, I am battling enough to set up all the formula's to do my richting arms and CB and all other information I need to make a safe boat.
    Thanks for the help. Maybe, Maybe one day I change to Unix or Linux again
    Bert

7. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Diaquiri, I have deep respect for you and I am a fan of all your replies, but I am getting to an age whereby all changes and new to learn gadgets, are slowly getting too much. If something does not work anymore, I find a way to get my end result without having to sit days and days to learn and fiddling to crash my computer. That said, I love every minute in learning about how to calculate something for the boat. But I have given Bill's Microsoft's clumsy kernel a red card, even if it is getting better and better.
    Don't worry, with 3 beautifull daughters, I have no desire to visit any **** site
    Thanks, Diaquiri will you help me to check all the calculations I have made? As soon I have found a way to get them on the net. It may take some time. Thanks
    Bert

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.