Preliminary Sketch

Discussion in 'Option One' started by Willallison, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Tohbi

Tohbi Senior Member

in the "style and decorating area," this comment may be premature but, if you extend the sheer aft [even vestigally], she'll appear lower and sleeker.

2. rbgarr

rbgarr New Member

3. Dutch Rub

Dutch Rub Junior Member

Now that " creation" has got to be one of the ugliest boats of all time

4. Doug Carlson

Doug Carlson Senior Member

Dutch Rub,

I've been active on this forum for about a year now and as far as I can remember you're the first person in that time who has found it necessary to label someone else's work ugly (on your first day of posting too). This forum has been about sharing ideas, contributing information, encouraging development. I hope it continues in that vain. Obviously this boat does not appeal to your eye. Do you have any technical criticisms? Do you have suggestions for improving its aesthetics? Do you have a design of your own that satisfies a similar set of requirements? If you do, we would all like to see it. Perhaps we will learn something.

Welcome to the forum,

Doug Carlson

5. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Whilst I understand and empathise with the gist of your post, I'm afraid that I have to go with 'the new guy' here...there ain't a lot about that boat that appeals to my eye either!
    On the other hand.... it sure would be nice if the interest that our forums (hope you don't mind me referring them to 'ours', jeff...;) )have generated of late, could kick start some constructive action on O-1....

6. Dutch Rub

Dutch Rub Junior Member

Doug- I guess Ive already rubbed you the wrong way- I guess I could have been a bit fancier- used words such as less than aestetically pleasing to my eye etc etc, but it all add up to the same thing. If you guys are afraid to call a spade a spade, I believe you are in for some tough times as designer, builders, and (hopefully) marketers of boats.

Now tell me what you like about this boats looks?

7. Doug Carlson

Doug Carlson Senior Member

Dutch Rub,

I participate in this forum because I am interested in the design of boats. I spend a fair amount of time here. The majority of that time has been well spent because the contributors have added to my knowledge or asked questions worth thinking about.

Some posts are far more valuable than others. Some members are far more knowledgeable than others. I have the greatest respect for those who have the knowledge and are willing to share it.

I am just an admirer of boats and the people who design and build them.

You don't rub me the wrong way though apparently you would like to. Its just that so far, reading your posts has been a waste of my time and I suspect the time of others.

I apologize to the rest of the members for taking this time to respond to you. It will be the last time.

Sincerely,

Doug Carlson

8. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Dutch,
    Hows about you post a pic of a boat (or boats) that you think are attractive, then we can see where you're coming from, aesthetically speaking?
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and these guys are beholding something they have worked on, and they like it. We understand that you don't, so let's have a change to fling bricks at your favourite boats ;-))
    Steve

9. Dutch Rub

Dutch Rub Junior Member

Ill get right on her Steve give me a little bit please.

10. Dutch Rub

Dutch Rub Junior Member

....still a workin on er........

11. Creation 20

So, Hurrah, and Ouch, The Creation 20 certainly is different, it is a product grown from a desire to meet the needs of families. To that end, you will not find a more accommodating or versatile craft in the price range.

I have a question that you all might be able to help me out with. Since this products birth was market driven rather than consumer driven, and it reflects a truly unique approach to boating, how does one expand the education of the boating public to help them see beyond the status quo? What I mean is, it seems that when people look at what the Creation 20 really does, just don't believe it. Like a 20' boat is incapable of meeting their needs because it is just to small. With better than 13' of cockpit that is 6+ feet wide with comfortable seating for 8 with an additonal two in the bow-rider, the Creation 20 provides enough space for 8-10 people to be comfortably accommodated. I mean they aren't stepping on each others toes and have some breathing space. When this space is vacant, it is a veritable patio, or can be altered to meet the requirements of offshore fishing while providing a hot pot of coffee, a toilet, and shelter from the elements to deal effectivly with that early morning donut and coffee to kill the hang over etc.

I am currently working out the process of bringing this product to market. There has been a good response, but my sales pitch seems to stall when people can't get beyond what they expect 20'ers to be able to do, and this they feel because of what they have seen of 20'ers. I don't have boats at dealers down south, so people really need to have the bug to get up here to see it, and that can be difficult given the bias described.

Glen McDermott
    President
    Creation Boatworks, Inc.

12. lprimina

lprimina Senior Member

It might not be the prettiest thing out there, but it is practical.. My worst idea that I didnt do was to take the WWII amphibs and convert them to River boats for RVs.. (4 years later I saw one used in that way). I thought the concept was to ugly.

13. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Beam or OA height...

Hello...

Mind me, I am a sauce poke...

Seems your beam to overall height is a bit skew, would look much like a trailer on pontoons against a berth...

Otherwise the profile is not so bad, pull back the front glass and leave a more lengthy fwd. turtle deck...

Drop the chine, and go antihedral, and aft sections become a constant section and very easy to build...

Very good thoughts thus far...

Nice thread...

SH.

14. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Sean,
    thanks for the input - seems there are still a few out there with interest in O-1.....
    The problem with a boat like this is that you have a conflicting set of requirements. In order to be legally trailered, the boat can't exceed 2.5m beam. In order for people to live aboard for any length of time, you need to provide sufficient headroom. Yet you don't want a boat so tall and skinny that it looks like it would fall over...
    For the cockpit to be self-draining, and to provide decent freeboard for its occupants, the sheer must be a given height. But if it's too high, the boat looks stumpy.
    To provide standing headroom in the main accomodation spaces, the cabin must be of a given length, but in doing so, the foredeck appaers too short.....
    etc, etc....
    Bear in mind that this was simply a preliminary sketch, roughly to scale - so with any luck, a bit of tweaking should see an improvement in the aesthetics.....
    We are all open to suggestion here, so why not put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard if that's your preferred method) and post a sketch of your own....

15. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Hello...

All that I have left of a bad hard drive crash is a 19 footer that I did years ago - and more applicable a few crew boats and fast ferries...

Crew boats and fast ferries - or even water taxis offer a very interesting study in workable profiles that would make very livable cruisers...

Trouble is fuel costs for anything that you would want to truly plane at the size you seem to be considering...

Anyway - if I can dig up some paper copies - I might be inclined to scan them in...

Old work...

SH.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2004
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.