Powering a slippery cat with 20 hp. Fuel injected or carb.

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Russell Brown, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Russell Brown

Russell Brown Senior Member

Thanks Dan, I will have to find the right prop, but I'll start with the one that came with the motor. There's a tachometer to help with that. There's a prop-shop nearby that can re-pitch. Should be ready for that in a month or so. I'll post photos.

2. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Senior Member

Dan, props for the Suzuki go up to 11" stock, and 13"from other sources.

3. Russell Brown

Russell Brown Senior Member

I thought I should do a quick update on the boat and motor. The Suzuki 20 has been great. I did have to step up props as I was hitting the rev
    limiter. My mount and fairing for the motor ended up absurdly complex, but they work.
    I got to do a big trip on the boat last December and it did really well. Fuel consumption at lower throttle settings is kind of amazing. The boat goes about 18 knots wide open (photo) at 5800 rpm, but at 4500 rpm the speed is still 14 to 15 knots and the fuel use is well under 1 gallon per hour.
    I built and have used a hydrofoil for the leg of the motor to provide some lift at the back end, but haven't done the testing yet to find out what it adds in speed. I'll hopefully get some fuel use data this summer too.

Thanks for the help!

DSC_9110.jpeg DSC_9125.jpeg DSC_0393.jpeg DSC_9131.jpeg