Power choice Poll

Discussion in 'Option One' started by duluthboats, Jun 25, 2002.

?

Power choice

Poll closed Jul 2, 2002.
  1. Diesel Inboard

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Diesel Sterndrive with or without jackshaft

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Diesel Surface Drive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Diesel Water Jet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Petrol Inboard

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  6. Petrol Sterndrive with or without jackshaft

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Petrol Surface Drive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Petrol Water Jet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Outboard

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

right path now

You have discovered the direction to take now just a little research and it's off to the races ........... upload some photos as you progress

2. maarten221

maarten221 Junior Member

Will do! Look for first "test" boats out of plywood in about 3 months.
    Thanks for all the advice!

3. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

A powerful grinder and good belt sander will do wonders for your project ....... good luck!

4. maarten221

maarten221 Junior Member

Got the sander, but need to go get a macha-macha grinder - SEARS IS YOUR FRIEND....

5. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

macha-macha grinder ........... this is slang for?
    Un boat related, I have a oak wood floor to level ......... byuilding it up with cedar and beveling the whole thing ......... 70 square feet. there is a 1.5 inch drop from one end to the other. Only want to do this once ........ hope I don't burn out another belt sander!!!!!!!

6. maarten221

maarten221 Junior Member

the Macha Macha comes from an old B-movie called Cavemen where anything huge and powerful is Macha Macha (including T-rex). That's about the size grinder I need to get everything cut just right - with a decent mitre box as well.

As for the sander, I don't know what to tell you. 70 square feet - all I can recommend is DON'T go electric. You really will need some decent air-tools and a compressor for a job like that.
    An electric sander will fry within an hour (I used to strip and paint lifting cranes while working in a open pit mine in South Africa).

7. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

As far as the floor leveling goes I picked up a 13/16" dado set to run on the radial arm saw so there will be minor sanding after that.

Any plans finalized on the tri-hull yet?

8. maarten221

maarten221 Junior Member

nope, still waiting to get the cash and space together. I should be ready to start a mockup of a small test unti by beginning of June.

Congrats on the radial saw....will make the project go much faster!

9. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

fast job

yes the dado set really helps, I have a 2 foot high pile of wood chips on the floor. Sure the tri hull will come together nicely. Will you be doing all the engineering or will you have to run the final design by a engineer?

10. maarten221

maarten221 Junior Member

I'm going to do it all by myself. That's the main reason for building the scale model. Once done, I will take pictures and post it here for comment.
    The steering is going to be a bit "unusual" in that it will use the jets in the ama's to steer - almost like a tank locking up a track on the inside of the turning circle.

11. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

reverse and forward opposite jets will allow for good steering ........ look forward to seeing pics of the scale model.

12. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

Power Options

With the cost of fuel rising and looking like it will just keep going up does anyone have alternative power plans or wish they had gone with a more fuel efficient propulsion system? I know I'm starting to rethink my next power choice, probably less HP !!!!!!!!!

13. maarten221

maarten221 Junior Member

Definitely, Wetfoot! I'm even thinking of selling my car and getting a VW jetta. The crown vi and taurus just guzzle too damn much!
    I think the future lies in diesel and electric motivation - combos or on their own. I don't think the whole "Hydrogen Fuel Cell" will go anywhere, but then again, I have been known to be wrong before!

14. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

I can understand where you're coming from with the diesel/electric, this could be true for subs if nuclear was not needed in cases like shoreline patrol and in shallower, coastal waters.

15. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

Yes sir, I just backed away from a big SUV inorder to avoid the high fuel cost. A more relaxed pace on the water would be a good thing! With the demand in China and India for fuel I can't see prices ever coming down.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.