Please check out this design. 27 foot aluminum pilothouse.

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by REELCRAZY, Jun 29, 2022.

1. REELCRAZY

REELCRAZY Junior Member

I want to thank you for your humble but very informative input. This is the kind of stuff that really helps a guy like me. I am a blue collar guy. Career Firefighter and Police officer. I have owned around 10 boats at 39 years old. Now I have a kid and want a boat I can enjoy a with my family. I looked at every fiberglass pilothouse out there and I am just not impressed. These companies in China (a handful) are capable of building incredible boats fit and finish and use the highest quality marine alloy. This is the only option for me. So here I am asking for input. I've seen people here treated with absolute kid gloves with absolute junk boats. For some reason I got dismissed and referred to a professional. Which I will do.

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

@REELCRAZY how far advanced is the design of this boat so far?
    Can you post a lines plan of it, rather than just some sections?
    And how about the structure - have you decided what the scantlings will be re transverse / longitudinal frame size and spacing, and location / thickness of bulkheads?
    Re transport from China, have you investigated the cost of shipping a wider (than 8') vessel on a 40' flat rack on deck, rather than inside a container?
    Or do they then want to charge you for the adjacent slots as well because your footprint is 'spilling over', never mind that it would be stowed on the hatch covers (or even on top of a stack of containers)

I googled 'aluminium boats built in China', and they gave me this link - there is certainly an impressive range available.
    Aluminum boat Manufacturers & Suppliers, China aluminum boat Manufacturers Price https://www.made-in-china.com/manufacturers/aluminum-boat.html

Have you come across the Specmar boat designs from Australia?
    Here is a link to their 25' x 8' design -
    Specmar Aluminium Boat Kit | 25 FT SITKA (1032) https://www.specmar.com.au/Alloy-Boat-Kit-Details.php?id=47&type=Mono_Hull_Boats
    In it they note that "At 3,882 lbs. displacement with 60 gallons of fuel, at 200 HP, the boat achieved 27 knots."
    I presume that this displacement includes crew weight - but even if not, then this design is still approx half the weight of your design.
    This design is fairly conservative - nothing too radical re wide chine flats and such.

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Most of the bigger designs are not well received if there are clear questions on the design. Your vertical sides and wide chine flats raises some concerns.

The best US pilothouse in this class, imo, is Aspen powercats. Gonna be best handling and fuel economy. Trouble is, they are like 450 grand now. Gone up like 100k in the last 10 years, but just incredible boats. I know because I wanted a 28-30 foot boat as well. I built a 32' Skoota powercat that should get launched soon. Have to get it insured.

Write the statement of requirements and avoid changing it for where produced if at all possible.

Here is a fun read about Aspen cat running around Vancouver Island.

Around The Island: A Personal Account of the Pacific Challenge https://www.passagemaker.com/trawler-news/around-the-island-a-personal-account-of-the-pacific-challenge

4. REELCRAZY

REELCRAZY Junior Member

Thanks for the replies gents. I looked at the Aspen Powercats until I saw the price. The flat rack option is what I was referring to that cost 30,000-35,000 compared to 7500 for a container. I reached out to the builder to determine if they had the rights to any plans that have been built by an actual Marine Architect, or Naval Engineer from somewhere besides China. They advised that they bought the hull design to Noble Boats years ago. This is an Australian company. I looked up the videos and it's a 24 degree dead rise. They seem to ride pretty well but are going to take some power to move and will not be very stable.

The stringers and subframe of the boat is designed by the engineers at the factory in China. From designs I have seen they are extremely robust.

I am paying around 35,000 dollars for a fully built hull, windows, paint, upholstery, pilothouse ect...sans a motor and all the rigging I plan on doing. The boat is 6 and 5mm plate I believe 8032 aluminum not the cheaper 5052. I will attach a sample of their engineering plans. If you scroll down past the picture renderings you will see more detailed engineering.

Attached Files:

5. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

@REELCRAZY , I've had terrific support and encouragement on my (far far crazier) build. But also negative comments and opinions. Take it all in stride. If your SOR includes that it fit in a shipping container, keep that point front and center. A massive savings for a sub-optimal compromise is the very heart of engineering. And keep in mind that yes- men are worthless. What you need is the best possible advice, even if it's unwelcome.

DC

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
    bajansailor, fallguy and kapnD like this.
  6. johnnythefish

johnnythefish Junior Member

Have you had a look at Tolman Jumbo Skiffs or Great Alaskan boats (who sell plans)? You may pick one of these up for well under your budget and without knowing exactly your intended use, one can say that there are a lot of Pilot House versions and they are well regarded by their owners. Or at the very least you might have a flat panel hull design that might lend itself to modification to aluminium construction?

fallguy likes this.
  7. REELCRAZY

REELCRAZY Junior Member

Awesome thank you for the heads up! Ill check it out.

8. johnnythefish

I don’t know if this one is still for sale but to me sounds like might fit lots of your criteria …

I don’t know your rationale for wanting aluminium but as budget seems to be important, I am going to assume that fuel burn costs/ boat efficiency are too?

Your stated cruise speed is about what these boats are supposed to do (in the right conditions) and you would be getting a hull design that has been tried and tested and liked by many…. So it is a known quantity.

David Nolan 26' Jumbo For Sale https://www.fishyfish.com/boards/boats-for-sale/david-nolan-26-jumbo-for-sale/

fallguy likes this.

9. johnnythefish

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.