Playful Dolphin jumps into small boat

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by sdowney717, Oct 12, 2021.

1. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

They say uno mas because they can't pick it up. One more man! One more man!

But a real fish outta water story and the tour group got their $$ worth.

thanks for sharing

3. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

Couple times been out on the lower Chesapeake Bay and had pods of dolphins swim alongside and arc out of the water, they seemed to like riding the bow wave.
    That is always fun and a treat to see.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Here along the Gulf Coast they do likewise. Ditto the treat.

5. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

The most interesting thing I've watched a dolphin do was on the Homosassa River. The dolphin herded a school of mullet into a notch in the riverbank. When they all jumped in the air to get away, the dolphin lifted his head out of the water and caught one like I would catch a piece of popcorn I tossed up to eat. The fish just went head first right into the dolphin's waiting maw.

-Will

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Dolphins come into our canal at low tide. I saw one force a snook against the seawall, push it out of the water and gobble it down.

7. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

A good friend of mine was on a penguin tour off southern Argentina when the panga started going slower and slower. When they looked back at the captain, he wasn't there. A penguin had hit him square in the chest and boosted him out of the boat. The man's life now depended on a bunch of tourists being able to find him in a panga with twin Yamaha 200 tiller steered motors. It took four of them to handle the motors and the rest to look for the captain. They got him okay, but he was very hypothermic and had some broken ribs.

When I was a kid, I went on a week long canoe trip and won the fishing contest when a big catfish jumped into my canoe less than an hour from the take-out. The kid that had had the biggest fish tried to have me DQed, but nobody liked him much so I won. I had a line out - I was actually trying to catch a fish - I just skipped a couple of the usual steps.:D

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  8. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

We were sailing to Burmuda from Rhode Island, on our way across the Atlantic. A Dr. Arbuckle who was aboard as a friend of my parents was meeting his new girl friend in Burmuda where they would leave us. My wife, a nurse at the same hospital as he, and I were hanging out in the cockpit that evening before turning in. Dr. Arbuckle was on watch and he had decided to learn the harmonica, so he was at the helm in his foulies blowing against twenty-five knot winds in a close beat with light rain and eight foot waves, which we endure for the entire four day passage. Linda, my wife, and I were teasing the good doctor about how bad he was. He was good humored about it and continued trying to pick out a sea shanty undaunted.

SMACK! A flying fish hit him right in the center of his chest.

I pointed at him and yelled, "See? Even the fish want you to stop."

9. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Amazing stories.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.