Off center single engine

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by fpjeepy05, Aug 31, 2022.

1. fpjeepy05

fpjeepy05 Senior Member

Any twin application doesn't need them if it's connected with a tie rod. I wouldn't go off the images on the website. Walk the docks. Every single engine boat I can find has one.

2. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

I can confirm. The seastar steering I installed 4 days ago, and used for the first time yesterday, is indeed no feedback. I borrowed a little 14' boat with a nice Yamaha 70, and the trim tab was clearly set up wrong. It had rack and pinion steering, and it was some real work. Let go of the wheel for an instant and she'd lunge into a dangerous right turn.

3. fpjeepy05

fpjeepy05 Senior Member

What are you confirming?

4. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

Ah, sorry. Out of sequence. That hydraulic has zero feedback.

But also that 3 of my 4 outboards have no trim tab.

5. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

The shaft was offset so you could remove the shaft. Pretty much a necessity with a skeg hung rudder.

6. fpjeepy05

fpjeepy05 Senior Member

Not according to Atkins...
    "It will be noticed that the shaft angle is very nearly parallel to the water line; but that the center of the shaft is splayed to port about 5 inches at the motor flywheel. This splaying does several things; not least of which is to correct the side thrust of the righthand turning propeller, and therefore contributing not a little to the speed of the boat. The advantage of this splay will be felt also when the boat is backed."

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.