Nordic Halman 20

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Rob Cowell, Apr 21, 2021.

1. TRBRZ

TRBRZ Junior Member

Hello
    I bought the boat in Nova Scotia. I’m very happy with it

2. TRBRZ

TRBRZ Junior Member

Im currently replacing the corded deck and adding a couple bulkheads. The boat is very solid but needs some work. As I retired last year I bought the boat for a project. I’m really looking forward to sailing it.

Attached Files:

CarlosK2 and bajansailor like this.
  3. TRBRZ

TRBRZ Junior Member

For info for those thinking about re coring the deck, the area of the deck forward of the cabin was balsa. It’s was completely rotten, like mud. The rest of the deck was 1/4 “ plywood. Pretty thin for a deck in my opinion. I decided to remove all of the core in the boat from the inside. Very messy but the deck outside is in very good condition so I didn’t want to cut into it. I recored it with 1/2” balsa. Also adding four deck supports between the hull and decks. The bulkheads under the liner were very poorly made so I replaced them also and added two others.
    It’s a lot of work but I’m enjoying it immensely.
    Will post more pics soon.

4. TRBRZ

TRBRZ Junior Member

Have uploaded a couple of pics of the original bulkheads, They were not constructed very well, The bottom surface of the bulkhead was two inches from the hull. There was one layer of fiberglass cloth that attached the bulkhead to the hull. All four were like this so i removed them and epoxied new ones in. The hull and deck of the boat are very solid. The wood work was poor to say the least.

Attached Files:

5. TRBRZ

TRBRZ Junior Member

Adding some new deck supports , this should make the deck very strong. The Nórdicas were only built with one deck support bulkhead under the mast. I’m sure it would be ok but I’m happier with the extra support bulkheads.

Attached Files:

6. TRBRZ

TRBRZ Junior Member

Hello
    I bought the boat in Cape Breton

7. TRBRZ

TRBRZ Junior Member

Hello everyone!
    A couple progress pics.
    I decided to open the layout of the boat a little. Will be laminating a new mast support beam on both sides of the original one. It’s only 5/8” thick plywood so it’s pretty thin. I have added three layers of cloth saturated with epoxy to it . It has strengthened it immensely. After I add the laminated beams it should be more than strong enough. The deck support bulkheads have added a lot of strength and stiffness to the deck.

will post more pics as I progress.

Attached Files:

bajansailor likes this.
  8. TRBRZ

TRBRZ Junior Member

Hello Viking , I have a Nordica 20 and have recored the deck and added some support knees inside the boat. I have a question about the shrouds and head and back stays. I believe they are original. The wire diameter seems small to me. I believe you may have mentioned in another post it’s best to upgrade the wire. Do you have any suggestions as to a suitable wire diameter to replace the original wire.? I am enjoying the refit of the boat immensely and am adding all of the equipment upgrades you have suggested. As you mentioned with the Halmans the interior workmanship was not the best in many ways. It’s the same with the Nordica 20. When you buy one that has not been refitted you are buying the hull really. I could have sailed it the way it was, but it has the potential to be a very nice and strong boat. I spent all last summer working on it and plan to finish it by July this year.
    I appreciate any advice you can pass along.
    Thank you from Nova Scotia

9. willy13

willy13 Junior Member

Use marine grade wire like Ancor. The required gauge would depend on what you are powering. For my project, I bought a roll of 18 ga., 16 ga., 12ga. and 10 ga., this pretty much covered the wiring from LED nav lights to the electric head.
    Marine Wire Size and Ampacity | West Marine https://www.westmarine.com/west-advisor/Marine-Wire-Size-And-Ampacity.html

bajansailor likes this.

10. Ian Colquhoun

Ian Colquhoun New Member

I have owned a 1979 Halman 20 since 1992 and can attest to the fine virtues of this pocket sailor. For the past three summers, I have worked on replacing the six ridiculous, trapezoid-shaped fixed portlights with proper, blue water, opening portlights from Atkins and Hoyle. It has been a considerable undertaking involving huge amounts of auto body work ie, filling and fairing, painting and installing marine plywood with 10 coats of polished varnish in the cabin interior.

I tend to agree with previous comments about the mediocre finish quality but the hull is structurally very sound. Anything you want to know about the Halman 20, ask me. I’ve done it all with her.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.