New FRP facility buildout

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by detourdog, Sep 1, 2020.

1. detourdog

detourdog Junior Member

No soft stuff on the inside hard on the outside. I’m looking forward to getting my copy of Ken Hughs Design portfolio.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You want soft stuff on the outside?

3. detourdog

detourdog Junior Member

That seems to be the opposite what I have said in 2 previous posts. One of the posts was a response to your last question.
    I admit without punctuation it maybe hard to parse.

Why do you keep insisting that I want to do my laminates inside out?
    Why do you even care so much about this detail at this stage?
    I'm trying to build out a facility and I provided some details about the type of work I was hoping to do in that facility.
    I'm totally winging this and trying to make enough good decisions to get to the next step.
    I'm not interested in playing forum gotcha on tangental details.

Sorry to get so huffy,

Ben

4. detourdog

detourdog Junior Member

Sorry for that last reply Gonzo.
    I meant to say I want to keep this thread on the facility topic as much as possible. If I ever make it to the build stage I will open up a thread for that process.

Thank you for your interest. I won't answer posts in the middle of the night.

Ben

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

My response was based on your request when you opened this thread. It asks for feedback on your layup methods. A layup method should be considered for the particular design. Wharram designed that boat for plywood, so they are developable flat panels. A female mold requires first building a hull, fairing it and then taking the mold from it. For a one-off like you propose is one of the worst possible choices. Further, trying to finish a complete catamaran while the hulls are in the molds would require cutting parts of the molds to access the hulls. For example, to install the decks.

6. detourdog

detourdog Junior Member

I'm aware of the downsides of a female mold. I prefer many aspects to the alternatives. Everything you have mentioned I can think you are not considering enough alternatives. Luckily you don't have to convince me and I don't have to convince you.

From this day forward let it be known that we disagree about characterizations of aspects of building. We can talk specific differences when I open my build thread.

Thanks,

Ben

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Seems like you are married to your idea. I'll leave you alone.

8. detourdog

detourdog Junior Member

I'm very open minded and as proof in my first reply to you that I was interested in Ken Hughs
    Cylinder Mold technique. I just don't feel the arguments against female mold technique have as high a value to me as others.
    I also believe that each topic deserves it's own thread and if this was the composite boatbuilding forum we should be discussing the details of various mold making techniques.

I started this thread in project proposals thinking that I would get a bigger picture than actual details of specific techniques. I appreciate you taking the time read my posts. If I make it to the building thread I hope you will give your 2 cents on whatever this has evolved to at that time.

9. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

No, that is not correct, any design can be made with various layout methods, there is no need to consider the specific layout method for a particular design.

10. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Are you trying to design a factory or just a home workshop?
    For a home workshop the things are simple: Lamination and painting should be as dustfree as possible, so you usee the vacuum cleaner and wet the floor before you start. If you use styrenated resins you need an extraction fan with filters (otherwise the neighbors might kill you). People need appropriate PPE. You need a movable rack for storing fiberglass rolls and a table to laminate components. You need a good vacuum cleaner and the best sander you can afford (bonus points if they work togheter). You need the means to lift things into the boat (bonus points for electric equipment). Add consumables and other comfort things and you are done.

TANSL likes this.

11. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

bajansailor likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.