New Design from Current Specs

Discussion in 'Option One' started by cdreams, Feb 27, 2006.

1. cdreams

cdreams Designer for Hire

Hello Everyone,

Yes Im new here but wanted to help or take part in this great collaboration.

Im waiting for my images to be a approved, but here are the specs. Once images go live in the Option 1 Gallery Ill post the links. I hope some of my designs will be helpful. One concept I believe would be great is my convertible transom I tend to use in most of my designs.

Thanks and hope to help out more. Spring is on the way, so Im sure we will see more progress soon.

LINK ADDED: http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/502

My submission specs:
    LOA: 31.5'
    Beam: 8'
    Draft: 2'
    Trailerable: Yes
    Weight: 7000-10000 lbs. Pending Materials
    Range: 250-350 NM with Surface Drive
    Range: 300-450 NM with Jet Drive
    Max Speed: 30 Knots with Surface Drive
    Max Speed: 35 Knots with Jet Drive
    Max Cruise 17-21
    Noise Db est.: 40-50db with twin merc 175
    Planing: 10-15 knots
    Sleeps: 4
    All Persons: 10
    Watertank: 90 Gallons
    Fuel: 150 Gallons
    Rear Convertible Transom-See Images
    Price Range: 35K-45K (Depending on Materials)

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

cdreams - welcome aboard!
    Some nice images there - I'd better warn you though - the folks around here can get pretty viscious with their critiques... me included!;) Just kidding - it's nice to see a new face on the boards - and you've obviously put a fair amount of time into the design....
    As you've no doubt read elsewhere, the O-1 thread has stalled a bit, but there seems to be a bit more interest around lately, so with any luck we can bring the boat to some sort of conclusion... eventually....

I have a couple of questions about your boat... (uh oh - here it comes:D )

Have you done an interior arrangement plan? I ask this because with the walk-around side decks your cabins look pretty damn narrow.
    Also, whilst I like the drop-down transom (I too incorporate this into many of my designs), I can't see how you'd do it with outboards.
    How did you come up with your range, speed, and in particular your cost estimates? The surface drives or jets (I note you show 2 of each) would probably amount to more than your total cost estimate...
    Even a pair of outboards - 175's you list - are going to eat substantially into this.
    Your images appear to show a fairly deep-vee hullform. With a displacement of about 5 tons as you estimate, I doubt that the boat will plane at 10 - 15 knots. Also, surface drives make no sense on a pleasure boat designed to do anything less than 40 knots. Similarly jets are only sensible (from an efficiency point of view) over about 30 knots. And neither will perform at slow planing speeds.
    5 tons is too much to sensibly call a trailer boat. Trailerable yes, but trailerboat no.

See - I told you we could get nasty!
    Please don't be offended by my comments - you may have valid responses to all of my comments. And a quick flick back thru the older O-1 threads will show you that I've recived as many darts as I've thrown... it's all part of the fun!
    As I said 1st up - welcome aboard - now don't go away....

3. cdreams

Hey Williamson,

As this was not a true design. I wanted to start somewhere. I did want to know if you have your hull that you did avail. This way I could finely tweek my upper part. Yes the walkaround is a bit narrow and looking to make it wider, I just got the new rhinomarine 3.5. I got most of my weights, plaing stats, thru my hydrostatics program.

I have another Idea for the project.

But if 5 tons is too heavy, what should the limit be, what will it be?

4. cdreams

Also, would you have your hull design in rhino file or 3ds?

5. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I could send it to you as an IGES file, which is how I usually import into Rhino. I'm flat out trying to finish my final exam for Westlawn at the moment though, so it may take me a little while to get 'round to it!

Take a look here for most of the current specs -
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10030

though I'm afraid displacement isn't among them:mad: I'd have to load my model to see what it should be - I know I based it's displacement on our target weight. If you don't want to wait for that, you could troll thru some of the other O-1 threads and see what you can find...

6. cdreams

Im going to rework my model from your specs seen under the gallery. Im also going to reconfig for outboards. I like the extended cab Idea, although, there should be some way of sun to come from above, and also be able to fish, youll never beable to cast off an extended unless your upfront. Id like to see this project come back. Is anyone here considering building the option 1?

7. cdreams

williamson, what do you belive the deck height will be foward and aft?
    what is the approx. chine height in the front? Along with deadrise too.
    Here are some figures Ive been messing with:
    length 28.5 ft
    beam 8 ft
    deck hgt fwd: 4.5 ft
    deck hgt aft: 3.9 ft
    chine fwd: 2.75 ft
    chine width: 4 inches

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.