Need some Advice

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by BobBill, Nov 19, 2022.

1. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Am looking for sides to make light. boat hull…figure to make hot-wire cutter and use deck and stem as cutter guides to cut pink or blue foam, to avoid sanding mess….assymetrical ama (hull) like Hobie 16, so starb'd side is more or less flat and alleviated center board need and has web or stiff material;. Waterproof for loa to which foam is glued…heard epoxy is too hard and was advised Ato use softer adhesive like Gorillla Glue!

Y’all are very knowledgeable…and helped me lots in past…avatar is rig and last (pre-C19) I sailed, rig was perfect…

Thoughts? Plan to use 4 6061s fastened to web-board to hook ama hull to outrigger beams/or amas. Boat is NOT a shunter, by choice, (Has rudder-governail-to tack.)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  2. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

I know this thread seems repetitious... winter here and time has passed, so...

As noted, am planning to replace my outrigger hull in spring, using foam from local Big Box, usning flat side of current hull as web/guide for hot wire...and just hunting for helpful ideas. I FIGURE if I use same size hull but foam, should be fine,,,

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  3. Andrew Kirk

Andrew Kirk Pedal boater.

I'm also intending to build a catamaran next year using foam for flotation. The lack of strength of foam is the downside. I will encapsulate it an thin aluminium sheet for this reason. Sandwiched between thin plywood is another option but I wouldn't want to just glue or fix it to one piece of ply. I've seen a design which framed the foam in timber but it looked rather temporary.

4. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Drew, if you do not mind my nick-name, I would jettison the Aluminum idea; to use a thin LOA wood web sheet to strengthen foam and encapsulate the foam with epoxy soaked carbon cloth or fibergalsss cloth to give the foam added protection...there are more knowledge w=swabs than mea, so hang here with me and learn...As you improve, i am doing sort of the same but this hull is an ama or outrigger, not a vaka or main hull, so it can be less sturdy. The fact your hull is more conventional may create various intricacies which are not simple.

Either hull will take a hit, but will show it. Go on-line and research also....and there is a very good DIY book on building sailing canoes, which offers some very good insights. Author knows his topic and has helped me immensely.

Also, sanding foam to fair is not easy and very messy too.

The swabs here saved me in past and I cannot cease to seek more advice here...

5. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

I neglected to note an authority or author in above...Gary Dierking...

6. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

7. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Was going to acquire Toro hulls from Church but found some idled hulls locally. The mail hull was a Hobie 18 and planned to go with NO stays as orig, but Parr and others her advised to add stays...which saved my swab-bum...now have so slso add deck mast foot...but stays are it for this rig.

8. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.