Marinising a kubota V2203

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by Jaybeecherbay, May 15, 2015.

1. Jaybeecherbay

Jaybeecherbay New Member

I have kubota V2203 crate engine that came with a bare hull I just bought. I am looking into fitting it with a twin disc mg360 gear. 2:1

Problem is..,, the bell housing does not Match a SAE 4/5/6. This engine is likely a replacement for a forklift.

Does anyone have experience marinising an industrial Diesel engine? Where can I source a bell housing or adapter plate so that I can fit a marine gear?

Any links or info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Jay.

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Kubota engines have been used in boats before. One that comes to mind was cleverly fitted and operated by an inventive guy named Robb White. His boat was an Atkin design called Rescue Minor....(I think that what it was). Robb was one clever dude and he dreamed up methods and details that few of us think of.

I think that you can dig around and find a way to contact his heirs. Robb is gone now but his son is still in the game. He may know something that could be helpful. Try Robb White designs.com or something similar. It's worth a try.

3. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

I have heard of machinists making adapter plates without much trouble. Also Kubota engine dealers have different bell housing patterns (SAE #'s) for different transmissions they run about $500.00, there is a name for it but forgot what it called. Hope you make it work those are great diesels.

4. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

Onan has been using Kubota diesels in their marine gensets for many years now, so there is a good source for new and used marinization bits..although probably not the trans plate.

5. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Nanni marine sailboat engines are kubota. You can buy everything you need over the counter. Otherwise you might be able to find a worn out nanni and just swap the parts to yours.

6. whitepointer23

Another supplier of kubota marine parts is diecon marine australia. I think they ship world wide. There is a boat behind mine with a new diecon kubota which has sunk and been refloated. The motor is Scrap.now. you need one like that.

7. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I just goggled Nann marine boat engines they have a good site. They are in Seattle and
    S California. They list their engines, HP, and transmissions. I'm going to call them tomorrow tom see if they have used ones.
    http://www.engines.man.eu/global/en/index.html

8. bertho

bertho bertho

kubota marine part

Guys,
    check also a company in croatia, name...scame marine, :p , they have complete kit for kubota and mitsubitchi engine, nicely done , wet exhaust manifold, heat exchanger , and so...have parts from them last year, good stuff.
    cheer's
    www.fusionschooner.blogspot.com

9. Stumpy59

Stumpy59 New Member

Kubota v2203

Beta Marine, they use Kubota blocks! lots of Dealers and parts

10. serow

serow Junior Member

It's a fair bet the flywheel is heavier on the marine version than the forklift model. You might find it jumping about at tick over.

11. dinoa

dinoa Senior Member

Another engine source is refrigeration units for containers and trucks.

12. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

Yep. I recently purchased a 25kw diesel generator that was built using a low-hours V2203 out of a Carrier refrigeration unit.

13. whitepointer23

I doubt that. Thousands of industrial engines have been marinised over the years with the stock flywheels used.

14. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

The only thing I've found that varies engine to engine is the oil pan volume. Heck..every one I've seen has the spline shaft out the front of the crank..yet few use that for anything.

15. dinoa

dinoa Senior Member

You're halfway to diesel electric power.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.