Marine Sanitation equipment advice request

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by billblack, May 30, 2022.

1. billblack

billblack New Member

Hi folks. I am in search of some guidance on Type 2 MSD systems or perhaps suggestions for some better plan.

I recently purchased a 96' steel work vessel that is currently flagged in the Bahamas. We'll be moving her to the US (Florida) in a couple of weeks and I need to make <much> better sanitation arrangements. She has 6 cabins with one head downstairs with a 50(ish) gallon holding tank and an upstairs head that is plumbed to evacuate overboard. Prior to her arrival in US waters, I will put the upstairs head out of commission (possibly just remove the toilet from the plumbing completely) so as to have no arguments with the USCG. I am currently looking at two possibilities - a marine incinerating toilet or an MSD Type 2 like an Ahead Tank by Ahead Sanitation Systems ( aheadsanitationsystems.com) or a Marine Fast LX by Scienco (www.sciencofast.com).

The incinerating toilets have a good bit more power demand than I would like, but we do have adequate generators aboard. She has freshwater tanks for 2400 gallons and a 1000 gpd watermaker so fresh water is not an issue.

I would appreciate any guidance from someone who has first hand experience with either system.

What is the best bang for the operation and maintenance buck?

Thanks in advance!!

Bill Black

Search and Salvage LLC

Sebastian, FL 32958

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I really like Raritan Engineering. They helped me immensely on a smaller vessel from start to finish. They were very customer oriented. Jerry Amari was great.

There are a number of less extreme measures than removing the toilet that would keep you compliant with uscg. You can padlock the door to the head that can discharge into ndz, you can remove the toilet handle and lock the water source to it prior to being boarded, of course. And for your own convenience to avaoid a problem, probably tape the lid closed so a guest won't make a mistake, etc.

3. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

We installed a skim oil s lx x style system with the small drums. Installed fairly easily and seemed to work. Wish I could report how the system did long term but my 4 months aboard 95% of the time we operated where it was not needed.

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

You need to contact Peggie Hall. She is a well recognized expert on Marine Sanitation systems I don't know if this email is still good peghall@worldnet.att.net but you can find her on a lot of boating forums. Or you can just get her book Peggie Hall https://www.amazon.com/Peggie-Hall/e/B00ZXZ0YLM/ref=dp_byline_cont_pop_book_1

Also the advice about not removing the head is good. The Coast Guard's policy (I am retired Coast Guard) is as long as the head is disabled so no one can use it is OK. However I would not just put a lock on the door. Remove the toilet handle, lock the discharge valve closed, and if it uses an electric pump, disconnect the pump.