M&M Ovenden splendid construction

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by dskira, Jul 13, 2010.

1. dskira

dskira Previous Member

We should all cheer Murielle and her husband for the beautiful work they are doing building the perfect dream boat.
    Murielle designed (and is building) the splendid classic vessel.
    Please visit her web-site, it is an inspiration.

http://www.mimijane.ca
    <mod note: url updated from original 2010 post link magma.ca/~ovenden >

Here she is with her assistant

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Duck eggs, good breakfast.:p

3. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Lori and I had the pleasure of meeting Murielle & Mark one evening last week. Their boat is HUGE!!! I'm sure the lil' puddle jumper I'm building will fit in their fwd cargo hold! :p

Truly a massive project.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I hope the bill isn't too large.

5. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Hoyt, take a look at her web site, it is fantastic.
    You will be impress. I was. And Murielle is all business with eleguance.

KnottyBuoyz it must have been quite a visit. Lucky you.

Daniel

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

It would be helpful if someone gave us a link to the website.

7. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I like duck eggs for breakfast, but the taste is a little strong for some people's taste. They're great for baking, though.

8. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

I thought I had taken some pictures but when I looked at the disk it was empty. I must have been overwhelmed by the scale of the project and forgot to push the button! It's not every day you have to climb a 25' ladder to get up to the deck of a boat on the hard! :p

Murielle & Mark have a vision and are working the plan to achieve their dream. When her "PEPE BERROU" keel gets wet I hope we can be there to toast their achievement!

http://www.mimijane.ca
    <url updated from original 2010 post link magma.ca/~ovenden >

1 person likes this.
  9. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Belay my complaint about not having a link. Either Daniel has added it to his first post, or my company's intranetwas blocking it on my work computers.

Wouldn't be the first time that's happened; it's kind of squirrely about what it lets through sometimes.

10. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

I've just returned from a read through their website and blogs. Let's toast Murielle & Mark right now for their achievements, inspiration and tenacity!

And not to forget quality of workmanship. Well done! And a sobering reminder of the time required to build a large boat.... I'm intending on 'cheating' by having the hull professionally built, I'll gladly pay the price to finish sooner.

11. welder/fitter

welder/fitter Senior Member

Their website is one that I really enjoy viewing & constantly check for updates. What will they do with all of the spare time when they've finished?(Hehehe)

12. hoytedow

Yes, visit the website. It is a very nice slide show of a wonderful build.

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

Great people with a great task, and obviously a strong will to get it done.

We can only adore that and wish them success.

Thanks Daniel!

Richard

14. M&M Ovenden

M&M Ovenden Senior Member

Good day guys,

Thanks for all the nice comments, I'm quite intimidated...Daniel, you are making me much honor.

Kach, Troy; yes the duck eggs are fine but the meat is even better (the one in the picture never made it to the freezer though) . For eggs I favor the free range chicken eggs...when the dog don't steal them all.

Hoytedow; The bill is huge! Saying otherwise would not be honest. When I say so though I'm not as much thinking money wise but as the impact it has on our day to day lives. This said, being who we are, if it wasn't this project an other one would be keeping Mark and I busy....

Rick; it was my pleasure meeting Lori and you, I'm glad you came by. As soon as crazy Marvin is all heeled up from his fight with the beaver, we'll start again going for our regular walks in Iroquois and certainly keep an interested eye on your project.

Brian; getting your hull professionally built is not cheating! It's wise. Each one has to decide what the project is to them. There is no merit to undertake a project if it's for the wrong reasons or by the wrong means. Setting clear goals and reaching them by the most sensible means is what has merit. Thanks for the toast!

Mike; we did joke around wondering what we would do with spare time as we were working on our first boat. After two years of building and finally on a long vacation, cruising and doing nothing we started dreaming a bit much, within a few hours the boat was for sale and I started drawing the next...here we are now. I doubt we do it again...I'd like to find time to windsurf with Mark, play more with my dogs, cruise around, go out with friends...don't worry, we'll find something to do with spare time ;)

Richard, I know you are often quite critic of self design and construction projects and take your support with pride.

As for my website...wow...I'm glad others enjoy it, quite frankly I started it more as a motivation tool for myself. Now I feel I have to do a little extra effort on it. :)

Cheers to all,
    Murielle

3 people like this.

15. hoytedow

I was talking about the duck's bill. :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.