LEDs for less power consumption

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by DennisRB, Oct 7, 2010.

1. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Okey, I see your point. I can understand the way you hooked it up. But why not just a keyed pin or color coded wire like red and black? You are losing 0.7 x 2 volt drop (the forward voltage drop in the diode) in the FWR.

2. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

I probably could have, but this seemed simpler and the idea of having to mess with it at the top of the mast again didn't appeal.

3. dazarooney

dazarooney New Member

Great post Dennis.

I just thought I would add onto your point about the downlights. I got some excellent downlights from here - http://www.ecoledlight.co.uk/led-downlights.asp. They were well worth the extra cost as my friend got some cheap ones from another site and they stopped working shortly after getting them.

4. MikeH007

MikeH007 Junior Member

Also check into LED tap lights. No wiring. Very easy way to add lighting in hard to wire spaces. Especially good for emergency lighting if electrical system or batteries fail. Small batteries are easy to store.

5. jacobgoona

jacobgoona Junior Member

Hey I just stumbled upon this ... I read through the thread and I am still a bit confused, is there a difference between Full wave rectifier and a Bridge Rectifier/Diode Bridge ? Also how do bridge rectifiers work , is it just an assortment of diodes that come in a kit and you put them together yourself to create a specific configuration? Any help would be great.. Not great with electronics.

Thanks,
    Jacob

6. chipresistor122

chipresistor122 Junior Member

Hey Jacob,

I can help you on this.

Yup a bridge rectifier has 4 diodes. It is configured in a very specific way and no they do not come in kits. It is a preassembled / manufactured module. It is used to convert AC to DC current and only allows current to flow in one direction.

If you have more questions let me know

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can make bridge rectifiers with 4 diodes, they don't need to be a manufactured module. I have made many of them.

8. jacobgoona

jacobgoona Junior Member

Thanks for getting back to me on that I appreciate it. Okay yea the reason I am asking, is I have a marine battery charger in my Center Console that broke, which I really need to fix. It's super expensive so I am trying to avoid buying another one. Anyway I read online that someone else had an issue on the same model and it was because the bridge rectifier went bad in it. So I figured before I tear it apart and try to replace it I should learn a bit more about how they work. Any more info I should know about them ..?

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can test the diodes with a cheap voltmeter. They will have little or no resistance in the forward direction and very high (almost infinite) on the other.

10. jacobgoona

jacobgoona Junior Member

Ok yup I am still deciding whether or not I should buy the Bridge Rectifier or just put together the diodes. But noted @ gonzo thanks .

11. chipresistor122

chipresistor122 Junior Member

Jacob a bridge rectifier as mentioned before is an assortment of 4 or diodes , used to allow current to flow in one direction converting AC to DC current. There are other types of rectifiers also including Halfwave , Fullwave, three phase. If your trying to understand a little more in depth look at this article How a Bridge Rectifier works - Step by Step - DERF Electronics https://www.derf.com/how-a-bridge-rectifier-works-step-by-step-tutorial/ it first explains the process of rectification , different types of rectifiers / how they work and lastly the application of rectifiers.

Also if you are debating whether or not to get a bridge rectifier vs. using diodes and making it yourself.. definitely get the preassembled module. It will cost you a few more bucks , but this is a marine application. You don't want to risk anything corroding etc.. just safer to get the pre-built module.

Hope that helps.

12. jacobgoona

jacobgoona Junior Member

Wow thank you so much for the explanation, I will definitely go ahead and read through that. Also yea I will just buy the replacement part - full assemby / module. Good idea.

Thanks !!

13. rxcomposite

A bridge rectifier is a full wave rectifier and uses 4 diodes however, full wave rectification can also be had using 2 diodes and a center tapped transformer. Both achieve the same purpose of full wave rectification.

Bridge rectifier usually comes as a single package nowadays for low power use but can be built with individual discreet components. Most high power applications uses discreet components as diodes becomes very expensive when it is high power.

14. rxcomposite

Marine battery charger is always expensive because of the environment it operates on. Standard run of the mill type will give you medium to full charge rate then cut out after the max voltage charge is attained. It becomes more expensive when you choose the "smart battery chargers" that don't cut out but trips to trickle charge after reaching the desired voltage. It ensures that you get a 100% charge everytime. There is also a "priority charging" where you can have several banks that will be charged at the same time (almost). There is also chargers for wet cell and gel cell battery. The charging voltage and profile are different.

You have to look at the specs/model description and buy that will suit your need. For example, if you are using one bank of wet cell for starting batteries and another bank of gel cell for house batteries. You will have to buy two sets of charger or buy the smart ones. They are usually programmable.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.