Jeff Spira boat plans

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Boat mad rich, Jul 3, 2022.

1. Boat mad rich

Boat mad rich New Member

Sadly it sounds like Jeff Spira passed away, I've watched every video he put out and was one day looking forward to building one of his designs. I particularly liked his unibody designs, unfortunately after his passing the website is closed and plans are no longer available. Does anyone know how I could build a boat similar to his designs without the plans?

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Welcome to the Forum BMR.
    Which particular type(s) of Jeff's designs are you interested in?

It should be possible to find another source of plans similar to the type that you are interested in.

3. Rodney Willard

Rodney Willard New Member

I have built the Tiburon Panga but would like to have Ixtapia plans is ther any way to find them

4. Shawn Hinckley

Shawn Hinckley New Member

You built a tiburon panga?
    What length did you build?

5. billjoat

billjoat Junior Member

I have plans for the 24' Key Largo if anyone would like them. Was wondering if anyone had the newer 30' Key West plans? I can probably extrapolate it from the Key Largo since I already did it for me by making it 27' already. Sadly my boat suffered catastrophic failure at the use of pour foam in the bow. I would really like to find some sort of plans to build this boat pictured here. Its a Ugandan fishing boat. Appears to be in the 35-40' range and powered by a 40hp motor. It would be a GREAT boat here in Eastern NC on the Neuse River.

Attached Files:

6. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

@billjoat re your photo of the Uganda fishing boat, she appears to be shaped rather like a typical pirogue, with that high bow.
    The odds are good that there is some FAO influence in her - there is a long list of FAO boat plans here -
    FAO Fisheries & Aquaculture https://www.fao.org/fishery/en/vesseldesign/search

What sort of usage would you intend for this boat if you built her?
    And what would be your typical operating speed range?
    Be aware that a pirogue is usually quite a fast vessel, with a lot of horsepower relatively.
    The Uganda boat is not going to go very fast with a 40 hp engine, especially if it is loaded down.

7. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Have a look at the 8.5m design in this free to download publication from FAO: Fishing boat designs: 2. V-bottom boats of planked and plywood construction (Rev.2) https://www.fao.org/3/y5649e/y5649e00.htm
    List of additional designs: FAO Fisheries & Aquaculture https://www.fao.org/fishery/en/vesseldesign/search Click on the boat listing to see details and download plans: FAO Fisheries & Aquaculture https://www.fao.org/fishery/en/vesseldesign/search

8. billjoat

billjoat Junior Member

I saw that design several years ago and have it downloaded on my computer. I've studied it many times and thought about just using that. Thanks for reminding me!!

9. billjoat

billjoat Junior Member

WOW!! Thats a great list of boats. Need to look long and hard at it. As far as usage, it would be just for going out and doing a little cruising or light fishing. Reliability would be a greater concern than speed since it would be rather long and a narrow beam. Looking quite odd for these parts. Maybe a pair of 40's would be a better plan. Haven't built anything in a while and not sure of the best 4 stroke used motors out there are beside they would have to be rather cheap. My last boat was destined for twin 70 johnsons.

But thanks for the list!!

10. zman317

zman317 New Member

I knew Jeff personally while living in California. what size boat are you looking for? Flat bottom Dory? Jeff had provided me a few plans and I would build them and he would post them. My latest one I finished about a month and half after he passed. He never got to see it

Attached Files:

• Boat.jpg
      Boat.jpg
      File size:
      461.8 KB
      Views:
    bajansailor likes this.
  11. member 77661

member 77661 Junior Member

Looking for plans for the 17' Tillamook. Have been eyeing it for a while and finally have freed up some time.

12. member 77661

member 77661 Junior Member

Have you built the Tillamook? Thoughts?

13. Briank2

Briank2 Junior Member

Hi, I built Jeff’s Nova Scotian 16 Dory. Still have those plans. When I went to buy more I was too late. Such bad news, he was a lovely and helpful fella and I looked forward to interacting with again on a new build. You wouldn’t happen to have plans for the Alamitos 15’ or Robalo 16 ?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  14. PaulNL

PaulNL New Member

Hi Brian. I’ve been considering building Jeff’s Nova Scotian 16 Dory for year. Now that I’ve retired and have the time it seems the plans are no longer available from Jeff’s site. Would you be willing to share your set of plans with me?

15. rel

rel New Member

I have built a Tillamook which was a great project. I am currently in search of Seneca plans.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.