Interesting Meta 39

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by James Wellington, Sep 2, 2021.

1. James Wellington

James Wellington Senior Member

This could be a good one for single handed, or two people. Should be able to go anywhere...its strong, 1/2 aluminum......2000 mile range, shallow draft.. Twin keels...kite sail. Wasnt able to download pics but can be seen at their website, Meta Chantier.

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

3. James Wellington

The specific one there is the Ecotroll 39. Has many good points, especially if I just go with my admiral.

4. bajansailor

She does look very neat.

I could save the general arrangement drawings below, but I couldn't save any photos.
    She appears to have two small diesel engines using saildrive legs, but I wonder how the electric motor(s) are included in the propulsion arrangement?

This is what they say about her :
    The Ecotroll 39 is the most ecological motor yacht possible! It is equipped with hybrid diesel and electric engines as well as a "kite" wing/sail allowing it to further reduce its consumption. It has a range of 6 hours at 5.5 knots in electric and more than 2000 miles at 6 knots in diesel engine making it the smallest motor yacht to be approved in category A offshore. Her shallow draft and Strongall hull allow her to sail in all the seas of the world, rivers and canals.

This yacht of a little less than 12m is composed of a large living room with kitchen, chart table and the wheelhouse on the main deck as well as a bathroom and two double bedrooms, one of which is the owner's bedroom on the lower deck.

• Line : Ecotroll
    • Model : Ecotroll 39
    • Overall length : 11.95 m
    • Hull length : 11.70 m
    • Waterline length : 11.01 m
    • Beam width : 3.99 m
    • Draft : 0.97 m
    • Lightcraft displacement : 11 t
    • Ballast : Twin keels
    • Rudder(s) : 2
    • Category : A / B / C
    • Cockpit : Sheltered with wheelhouse
    • Cabin(s) : 2 doubles
    • Berth(s) : 6
    • Head(s) : 1
    • Engine(s) : 2 x Nanni diesel N4.60 SD 60ch @ 2800rpm
    • Fuel tank : 2020 L
    • Water tank : 430 L
    • Architect(s) : Jean-pierre Brouns
    Meta Ecotroll-39 GA 2.jpg

Meta Ecotroll-39 GA 1.jpg

BlueBell likes this.
  5. James Wellington

Yes, thats the one, but they dont give exact details. I guess one would have to ask them for more. There has to be electric motors too if it can go 6 hours pure electric. But there are several pics on their website. These Meta boats use the Strongal system in aluminum, I think half inch think. Should be a good one. If too small for some, they also have that 56' motor boat too that presumably could be done as a hybrid, and with kitesail too.

bajansailor likes this.
  6. phillysailor

phillysailor Junior Member

The Minitroll 8.3m is adorable, and probably a better sailing hull form.

META seem to use Beta marine, and they have a parallel hybrid series which pairs an electric motor on the same shaft as the diesel engine so the electric motor can also act as a huge generator or hydrogen.

bajansailor likes this.
  7. James Wellington

Yes, so far I cant see anything wrong with this one, presuming the 39' size is ok.

8. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

Here you go:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bajansailor likes this.
  9. James Wellington

Thank you! Seemd like a really good boat for singletons, or a couple.

BlueBell likes this.
  10. James Wellington

Verdict is out, its not an interesting boat for anybody but me apparently. But then again, Im more practicle minded than many boaters..

11. bajansailor

I like her - I have a soft spot for all (most) aluminium boats and I can see how they have advantages over fibreglass.
    I think I would like to have a flying bridge as well though.
    But the most important factor is probably the cost - have you asked for a quote?
    The price of one of these vessels might keep it as a pipedream for those folk who like the idea / concept, but do not have the funds to buy one.

12. James Wellington

Thanks, and this is not only aluminum , but also the Strongal system, about 1/2 inch thick, way stronger than most alubboats. I wrote them and they said that depending how you outfit them, from 400k - 550k or so Euros, and take about 6 months to build.
    love how its hybrid, and kite sail, folding masthead for canals, bridges, etc. C ant see anything wrong with this boat. And with 2000 mile range, can go anywhere..

bajansailor likes this.
  13. skaraborgcraft

skaraborgcraft Senior Member

A JP Brouns design also? I came across the JMF 33 while looking for small troller type motor sailers, only to be very surprised by the boat in the photo was based in the port of a friend i visited a few months back. Expensive, but very capable.

JMF 33 – Brouns

His website is worth a look, its in French.

14. James Wellington

Yes, and you can see more, in English, on the site, Mega Chantier. As usual the Euripean make some really interesting, and really good boats thst are largely unkown in the US. It seems like they dont even care to learn about them. Of course I realize that most boats americans get are not even used for long distance cruising.