Impressed current cathodic protection (ICCP) for aluminum multihull

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by yanivmass, Nov 8, 2020.

1. yanivmass

yanivmass Junior Member

I am currently under construction of an +- 20 m long / 10 m width aluminum sail cat.
    Going threw the different companies suggesting ICCP systems, I received an offer that include 1 set (one impressed anode and one reference cell) to be installed on one hull out of the two only.
    ill appreciate to hear any thots regarding the right layout of an ICCP system on aluminum cat's.
    thank you.

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

3. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

Is that an anti-cathodic system or an anti-fouling system. Admittedly, I didn't read the whole site, but I saw nothing that suggested that system would reduce corrosion. In fact, because moving and disturbed electrolytics can increase corrosion rates, that systems sounds like it might be hard on aluminum hulls.

My understanding is that ICCP is the preferred choice for larger ships, but it requires constant monitoring of the charge levels at the cathode and anode ends.

You might also look into zinc paints that can provide a sacrificial layer.

The National Association of Corrosion Engineers has a lot of resources availible, as well as certification courses and connections to corrosion professionals.
    Marine Coating Technology https://www.nace.org/education/courses-by-program/coating-inspector-program/marine-coating-technology

-Will (Dragonfly)

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

It is kind of both...really depending upon what you are trying to achieve...but it is more anti-fouling.
    It is unclear from the OPs enquiry whether they want a localised (dissimilar metals) or ship-wide (anti-fouling) effect...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.