I got a new toy!

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by cthippo, Mar 19, 2021.

1. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

This popped up on Craigslist last night for free and I decided I had to have it...
    photo_2021-03-18_22-15-17.jpg

It's a rather old, but allegedly functional, depth finder, but instead of a screen it records on thermal paper like an old FAX machine. It's down imaging only, but I think that being able to make paper graphs of wrecks we find might be a nice gift idea for the people who help with the project.

fallguy, hoytedow and Will Gilmore like this.
  2. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

That is a decidedly OLD toy!
    In order for it to be useful for anything other than real-time straight down shots, it needs to be combined with a nifty Loran C unit and a sharp pencil for scribbling coordinates and headings on pertinent markings so you’ll know where the pretty pictures came from.
    I used to log catch, tide, current and weather info on the chart as well.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Garmin unit nearby showing coordinates while taking photo with smartphone of both will save it for posterity.

4. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

My Garmin 9SV will be my working unit, this is just for the cool factor and to record trophies.

hoytedow likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.