How much space is enough for navigation devices ?

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by Florent, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Florent

Florent New Member

Hello,

This is the forward cockpit of the Windelo 50 cat and I'm wondering if the cockpit is well designed for long-distance cruising.

Screenshot from 2022-01-23 19-49-58.png Screenshot from 2022-01-23 19-49-18.png

As you can see there isn't a navigation table to put a laptop and not much place to install electronic devices for autopilot display, chartplotter and sensor display.

Do you think a cockpit like this could be a problem ?

Thanks!

2. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

There is a big touch multifunctional display right there in your eyes. It shows everything you can think of, plus some things you don't. You can always add another one if you wish. The radio is underneath and the magnetic compass on the bulkhead (white plastic bulge behind the winch). The chart table is in the saloon, not that anyone would use it for traditional chart work.

You can wonder about the choice of a forward cockpit, it's been tried before but has not caught on. This one is also highly dependent on videocameras, there are no clear view screens and you can't see the sails otherwise anyway.

Will Gilmore and fallguy like this.
  3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Does the captain ever get to sit? As a fellow with bionic parts; seems a bit silly to sit sideways in a million dollar ride. No?

hoytedow and Will Gilmore like this.
  4. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

This is a million dollar cruising sailboat fallguy, nobody sits facing forward and hand steers for hours. Those steering wheels are very rarely used, usually under engine and only for a short time. Typical cases would be leaving and entering marinas or anchorages and navigating a marked channel. The rest of the time, sail or power, the boat is under autopilot with the watch lounging on the sofa.
    If one is actively managing sails you have to stand anyway to pull on the strings and grind the winches.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  5. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Thank you. I would not be happy with that helm. But I understand it is different now.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  6. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

The location of that MFD makes my neck hurt just from looking at the picture!
    I can’t imagine sitting there and working out courses on it.
    Looks like it could move to the left a bit, somewhat improved, but still not ideal.
    How about a pull out where the radio is, that could put it in the user’s lap?

7. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

You don't plot anything on that MFD unless you specifically desire so, for wich you would specify an extendable bracket. Navigation is done on your laptop/tablet/phone in the saloon or the office down below and uploaded to the central nav computer via Wi-Fi or cable. On the MFD you only select the various charts/routes from the menu and add the desired overlays and split screens (AIS, radar, sonar).
    This is also not a nav station despite beeing covered, it's a sailboats cockpit. It's function is to provide comfortable accomodation for the watch and visitors and a clear area to work the lines. Most importantly, the watch also has to see the sails, and unless he does that on CCTV he has to sit sideways to observe them trough the overhead windows. In less crowded waters and with somewhat steady winds not even the watch has any reason to be there, the view is just as good from the saloon.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  8. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

You know, in the olden days, sleeping on watch was punishable by anything from 20 lashes to death. This cockpit seems like it would have contributed greatly to a short-hand crew after just a couple of days from Port.

It would be better for the peace of mind of other sailors to think someone was away on that boat at night.

9. ebichiken

ebichiken Junior Member

Sorry for my silly question, but it is possible to change the steering wheel to joystick ? so you can save some space to put other device.

10. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

Of course. You need an interface with an autopilot. I don't know of any on the market, but it certainly should be possible.

11. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

A quick overview of the available joystick systems https://powerboatmagazine.co.nz/joystick-steering/
    Modern autopilots are all drive by wire via multiple systems (plotter, dedicated controls). Sailboat pilots have extra handheld remote controls.
    Independent hand operated steering is provided for the pleasure of the owner and as backup.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  12. ebichiken

ebichiken Junior Member

yes sir, if we look on conventional ships (cargo, tanker, CPO & etc.) right now the all use joystick or NFU steering, manual steering only use for emergency case and normally located in steering gear room not in wheelhouse/navigation room.

13. Janis_59

Janis_59 Junior Member

I have rather tiny place everywhere thus I mounted my AIS/GPS display on the hinge at cockpit doors - when at sea - stays at place near compass, where I can see while steering, when inside, bit squeezing the neck I can see from the bed. Because AIS sometimes make the alarm when someone comes too near.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.