how many people work with dual monitors?

Discussion in 'General Computing' started by tux, Nov 17, 2002.

?

Does your cad system have dual monitors?

1. I use dual monitors and love having all the space

96 vote(s)
    68.1%
  2. I would prefer one even larger monitor to two monitors

14 vote(s)
    9.9%
  3. Imperfect software support has kept me from getting dual monitors yet

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. I have no need for a second monitor - one screen is plenty

17 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. Other

12 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

only and ancient like you would know that ....

stick with the ladyboys.....

2. masalai

masalai masalai

I go for intellectual capacity and broad knowledge in women and since most women claim to be able to multitask... - Ladyboys may make nice eye candy but NOTHING else - - except for amusement to see others 'proud' of "the beautiful girl" they have for company, and, I lay bets to see if he will know it is a ladyboy...

Monitors. :?: I have several and currently laptop limitations reduce that to 2 whilst on the boat...

18 November 2002 - that makes this thread 10 years young, but still relevant and I have maintained forum theme by mentioning my BOAT....

3. king_cobra1212

king_cobra1212 New Member

I dont have requirement of dual monitor.

4. Moggy

Moggy Senior Member

2 x 22" + 1 x 17" (set @ 90 degrees).

I couldn't live with one.

5. johnhazel

johnhazel Senior Member

I built a Linux workstation anticipating long term OPENFoam based hydrodynamics calculations. It included two 1920x1200 monitors attached to a Radeon HD 4870 512Mb video card. This system worked very well with CAELinux 2010 which is an Ubuntu 10.04 LTS based distribution that includes pre-installed OPENFoam.

When I updated to the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS based version, this system developed issues with the dual screens. I re-installed the 10.04 version and the problem was gone again. Since then the project has been put on the back burner because of the gigantic time investment needed which is made worse by issues related to Linux hardware support. I have repeatedly experienced a cycle of "That hardware is too new. The drivers aren't ready." and the drivers not getting put right before "We no longer are developing the drivers for your hardware. It's too old."

So I have installed Windows 7 on this machine and gave it to a relative that does desktop publishing. It's an AMD Phenom II 980 and is about half as fast as a calculator as the recent Intel models. I bought an i7-4700MQ based laptop to replace it. Unfortunately this is in the "Hardware is too new. Drivers not right yet." stage.... again.

6. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

7. yipster

yipster designer

Otoh most modern software has lots of floating menus. Autodesk now also mentioned its handy to place menus and more on a second screen. Actually sort of an old trick I never used. Did had a go with one mouse on both screens so getting a second cheap used monitor now to double the surface. Anyone has any better info on how to ride two screens with one program and mouse than: o everyone nowadays works this way, its easy, good luck. Probably is, is it ?

8. yipster

yipster designer

9. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

how many people work with dual monitors

I use 5 monitors and several operating systems and 5 separate computers
    because some software is not compatible and does not work well on some operating systems. Some with two monitors sometimes.
    Networked.

10. cmckesson

cmckesson Naval Architect

My office computer uses three monitors.
    All of our design computers use dual monitors. This is handy because a CAD graphic image can be displayed on the big one, while dialog boxes, web pages, spreadsheet calculations, etc. occupy the smaller one.

11. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

I have a terrible time at the moment with my cursor insertion point jumping around when typing and making it very difficult to type.
    I have not looked at mouse settings or sensitivity yet but will try that first.
    Any other ideas.Windows 8 updated to 8.1 OS

12. tdem

tdem Senior Member

If a laptop - there is a setting to disable the touchpad while typing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.