Hot water, heaters, cookers.....

Discussion in 'Option One' started by Willallison, Jul 11, 2002.

1. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Here's what I did.

Heat:
    -need to run genset a little bit to recharge plate fridge,batteries,etc and had a heat exchanger to heat the water heater from it.Also heat from main engines.
    Diesel hydronic for the main use.

Cooking:

Usually burning up a carcass of some sort,with veggies/potatos on the grill or burner.
    Curries,stirfries,stews,etc are all cooked on the side burner.

-In summer,cooking heats up the cabin and smells it up as well,so I always cook up on the flybridge with side burner propane BBQ.
    -In cold(er) weather,cooking inside heats it up BUT also water vapour condenses all over the glass.
    Could use a ventilation fan,but then it sucks all warm air out.
    Solution is to cook up on the flybridge.

Propane is fine with proper tank location and ventilation.

And get in the habit of turning it on and off at the tank each time you use it.

Use the galley stove to make beverages,other than that it's useless to me.
    Gonna rip it out soon,going to a 2 element 120 volt to gain counter space.

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Beautiful old stuff, thanks Daniel!

And this is what I call a honest advertisement:
    [​IMG]

no glitz, blitz, but a blond Top - Model that outperforms all professionals....

3. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Isn`t she...

Isn`t she just delightful !:)

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Apex, I am always amazed at the eloquence of the imagery you bring to this forum.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What's O1?

6. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

My best quess: Extraordinary ability... but not sure:confused:

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

And now Gonzo.
    Must we die dumb?
    What is O1?

edit:
    Hahahaa..
    now I have seen the old post from Portager one page back. Yes whats O-1?

Maybe a stove using only half of the oxygen available, leaving the other half for the crew?

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

O-1 started the whole thread

9. hoytedow

Perhaps he means monoxide, as short for carbon monoxide?

10. hoytedow

Never mind. "Oh, I was mistaken."

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

Haha, nice words, thank you.
    But this is something different. I notice a purrfect job, when others do´nt!

Can you imagine to remember the lascivious ***** from the ad two years ago, when you see a Chevy on the road?
    Can you imagine YOU WILL remember this little treasure with her shy smile, when you see such a stove on a boat?

You might even remember the untidy background..........
    ..and the product makes you smile.

Sure proud Papa did not think this way round, neither most of the people looking at this picture.

But it is nothing less than a perfect ad, innocent and honest. For that reason we look at it again:
    [​IMG]

Regards
    Richard

12. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Oh Gentlemen...please... O-1 is short for Option One - the name given to the collaborative design project of which this thread is just a small part. And Gonzo - did you have a restless night - I'm surprised you can't remember... since I believe you participated in in it!

13. Aussie Jim

Aussie Jim New Member

In the australian outback (desert) it just about freezes at night. Dry dry air and cold. Desert nights. Aussie invention take a piece of metal pipe say 3" diameter about 6' long usually old down pipe just galvanised tin really (roofing downpipe really) then take a length of thin copper tubing (gas stuff is best) and twist it round and round to create like a thread with as many twists as is possible. This goes inside that downpipe and is allowed to unwind a bit to stay in place. at the top end place a shower head and on the bottom connect to water supply. We use a tobacco tin or jam can of metho further down in the bottom of the downpipe but LPG or sticks work too.

So now the metho is burnt the heat rises and tries to expand out through the copper tubing which contains the cold water heating it. length of the whole arrangement dictates how much heat is absorbed by the water. Sometimes a few 90 degree bends are needed to get that length. The heat is a life saver at times in a little tin shack. The excess heat is then allowed to escape out the chimney.

I don't use it on my boat cause its sub tropical here and black plastic bags are more than enough. I have to add cold to shower.

A bit of Yachting smarts and you could maybe use this to heat the boat in a colder area it'd be like a mini pot belly just don't forget the need for ventilation.

14. hoytedow

Welcome to the forum, Aussie Jim. Interesting gadget you described. Got any pics of it?

15. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Sounds like a "still", but that keeps you warm in a different way.

Cute stove :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.