Harley 42'

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Guest, Apr 6, 2004.

1. pizzacutter

pizzacutter Senior Member

Whats Up guys? Sorry no posts lately, wish we could see some more Harley posts. Looks like just me and Steve...
    Anyway, not much to report after the hard-top project. We have done a lot of canvas lately, including sunscreens all around, aft cover, woven fiber mats, etc. I had my props done by Marc Wilson- he is the surface drive guru, and he did a great job. Top end is the same but cruise a few knots more, very satisfied. Both engines went to CAT dealer last year for 2000 hour service- removed from boat, serviced, and repainted. We did some bilge cleaning & painting while they were out. My trim tabs are currently 0ff the boat. I am thinking of replacing with 380 series K Planes, they are much larger. BTW we DID make the Bahamas last year, so much fun in the Harley for a month. Ready to go again winter of 2021. Who wants to go along?? I don't have much for pics, but I think my wife has some on FB, if anybody wants to peek. Lets see some Harley Pics!!
    Lee

Attached Files:

2. sharper

sharper Junior Member

Progress . The engine and generator rooms are getting close. Wiring and Pluming are just about done. I've had the engines in and out several times for fitting. Fabricated the sea chest in an attempt to reduce the number thru hull fittings. Will see how it works. The Seagauge G2 engine monitor is installed and wired. Did some set up with my pc . In the process of installing Glendenning smart actuators to control the throttle and transmissions electrically . When installed , it will be easy to install controls on the upper station. Just have to run one canbus cable to the tower. Has some nice features like rpm synchronizing.

Lee, i think i'm going to be forced to use the original engine hatch arrangement because of the seating and kill box arrangement i would like to try. Tho i have changed the size and location some. Have finished constructing and installing the rear engine hatch and gutters. Appears to be functional and sturdy. Should reduce water in the engine room. Will modify the hatch mold and cast the forward engine hatch in the next few weeks. Then back to work on the drives.

Apparently i'm not to good w drop box. Hope to have it working soon .

Attached Files:

3. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

sharper, you may not be any good with dropbox, but are an amazing fabricator and boat rigger! Top notch workmanship.

Keep it going, and keep us updated!

Steve

4. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

Harley 2017.jpg
    I have been social distancing in the Harley as much as I can. Gas at our marina is 2.20 for non-ethanol mid grade , making it hard
    to not burn some. I did cancel our San Juan Island summer rental this year, and fortunately the owner was able to refund our deposit.
    It would have been our tenth year in a row taking the boat north. Hopefully things will be back to normal next year.

As far as boat status goes, it has been top notch. Mostly fuel and minor maintenance. I did buy a Side Shift sternthruster similar to
    this: https://sideshift.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/stern-6.png . The generator is just a few inches from the transom, so no
    interior space for a conventional unit.

I haven't installed it yet. Planning on getting to that project this month. We'll see if that happens. I will give a report as soon as
    it is operational!

Let's get a report from all of the Harley owner's out there! A few of you have been AWOL for for quite awhile.

Steve

5. pizzacutter

Shaun, your work is amazing!! I cant wait to see in person. We are making our 2021 Florida & Bahama plans now, so let me know where you think the boat will be in early 2021 and we will make a point to be there! Maybe we can make a Keys trip together. Not much to report on our boat. We did blast off all the bottom paint recently, which revealed all kinds of cracks and dings. :( So after about 50 hours of repairs we have put on a barrier coat and next up is 2 coats of bottom paint. When the K Planes were removed, no surprise that we had rot around all the bolt holes. So they were drilled over-size and filled with epoxy. I am gonna add a 1/4" plate of G-10 between K-planes and transom to "spread" the load around the rotted area. Have you guys worked with G-10?? It is an amazing product that really changes the way certain boat building/repairs are done. We have used it a lot in several projects.
    The trailer is getting a 12,000 lb electric jack next. My old back is just not up to the task of cranking up & down anymore.
    Lets see some more Harley pics!! especially you Shaun!

Attached Files:

6. sharper

sharper Junior Member

Have finished casting and installing the foward engine hatch . Also built and installed an aluminum brace to support the hatch hinge member. On the rear hatch I inbeded 1/2" alu plates for lenco hatch lifters. That was a geometry lesson. Fabricated mounting brackets off the water strainer brackets. Had to snake the exhaust tube on the stb side some but it fits. Amaizing how small the engine room gets. The foward engine hatch lifters were almost as much fun. Couldnt stop there. Did the gen hatch also. Still waiting on back ordered switches and harneses from lenco. Probably made in china. Decided to go with dual ram lenco extreme duty trim tabs . In the processes of installing now. So i took my brand new elector pollished tabs, took them apart and glass beeded them. Going to try Prop Speed coating on them and the drives. After a close inspection of my drive shafts I had them retubed, new bearings and balanced. Because the drive shafts are 3 feet long, in goes the shaft cage restraints. Everything is a one off project! Removed the seachest to pressure test and clean. The way its made, only takes a few minutes with an extra body to lift it out. On to the arnesons. Have one drive apart. They were not in bad shape tho while its apart we are going to rebearing and reseal. As fate would have it the universal joints that i have are no longer available. Will have a new universal assembly from Germany next week. Ugh... Glendennig controls are in and working. The installation was relatively straight foward. With a little professional help the programing did not take long. Had to fab all the morse cable brackets, that took some time. Most of the big glass work is completed other than the swing transom door. A while ago i made 4' x 8' sheets to skin the sides under the gunnels. Waxed and sprayed Pva form release onto plastic sheets. Shot gelcoat and two layers of 1 1/2 oz mat. Finally made patterns , cut the shapes out and fitted them to the inside of the boat. Installing them is rather time consuming tho beats a long board and fairing. Vaccume bagged the sheets to the sides with one 1 1/2 oz mat on the back side of the sheet and one 1 1/2 oz matt on the boat wetted out. The process needs to be planned out and you have to work fast. The green material is washable airconditioner filters. Helps distribute the vaccume equally over the pannel. Did the same process with bonding the divinycell coring to the hatches. After that, faired all the radiuses and edges by hand then sanded. Very sore fingers. The build continues. Hope to be painting the cockpit area soon

Steve it looks nice to be on the water!

Lee ill be glad to be down to bottom paint . Thats not a fun job.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  7. sharper

sharper Junior Member

Did some glass and fairing under the swimm platform. Ready for barrier coat

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  8. sharper

sharper Junior Member

IMG_1319.JPG IMG_1320.JPG Finally ready to wetsand and buff the transom.

9. pizzacutter

Hi Guys, I guess we r down to 3 active Harley owners, at least on here. Me & Steve & Shaun. Know of any others? Shaun get 1st prize for most work done & best work I have ever seen! You gotta give us more pics. Hope to see entire hull in a pic. If it is easier to email pics, please, to pizzacutter@comcast.net.
    Steve, u looking good on the water, need more pics of yours too. It is a bummer that we don't have a following like some brands so we can learn from each other.
    We have not done much work on boat this year, just the bottom job, power trailer jack, & some canvas. Some canvas pics attached. The aft curtain is real handy, goes up in 5 minutes, and keeps cockpit clean & dry. We have a full set of mesh curtains for sun/privacy. They worked really good on a recent trip, easy up/down.
    Winter plans are new trailer tires 17.5", new K-Planes 380 series, cockpit upholstery, and hope to be in S Fla in 2021.
    We clocked almost 1000 miles so far this year & still have trips planned. Made the Chesapeake "Loop" in July, start Va., Md., Del., NJ, & back to Md. 250 miles. Running great & get right at 1 KMPG Fuel averaged about $2.20 g over whole region.
    Best of luck to all, bring on some pics & info!

Attached Files:

10. sharper

sharper Junior Member

IMG_1351.JPG starting to buff

11. pizzacutter

What up?? Anybody out there using or working on your Harley? Shaun? We had a good winter, did some minor work, interior upholstery, etc. Up and running great. First trip was OC MD to Dewey Beach DE, to Cape May NJ, and back. Hope to hear from you guys!
    IMG_0363.jpg

Attached Files:

Lloyd Too likes this.
  12. sharper

sharper Junior Member

Hello Have been busy at work and had to take a break from the Harley to help my son finish his 1999 Seavee. New tanks , Awlcraft on the inside and new gelcoat on the entire hull. I did the electrical very similar to the Harley. Im back to working on the Harley now. The Cockpit is basically ready to paint. So I started fairing the sides. That has been quite the project. Have both sides fairly straight now though I will be long boarding for a while longer. Sanding w 80 grit now . Probably another coat of high build primer then cut with 150 grit. Working my way to the final 545 Primer. Its not perfect but a lot better than it was. We are working on the drives again. Have one close to going together and disassembled the other one completely.

Attached Files:

fpjeepy05 likes this.
  13. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

Hello!

Just checking in with you guys!

I have been using the Harley quite a bit this summer.
    Our weather has been so beautiful that it is hard not to take it out.

I finally installed the stern thruster, and it works great. I'm glad I let
    the sales rep talk me into the larger unit than what originally I wanted.
    It would not have been enough. The stern doesn't change direction near as easily as the bow!

My auto pilot was having issues "again". After disassembling the pump motor I found the
    armature shaft broken off. This is the second one that has failed, and I didn't know what to do.

I called Rik at Arneson and he suggested a steering manifold that uses hydraulic pressure
    directly from the PS pump. I rigged it in to the existing steering system along with a rudder feedback unit
    that is actuated by a custom made morse type cable attached to the steering ram. After some initial
    adjustment issues were fixed it works better than any unit I have owned over the last many years. It will hold
    a course dead nuts, and steer a lot better than I can.
    Previous autopilots had "virtual rudder feedback" and I was never satisfied with their performance,
    along with the pumps not lasting as long as they should.

Other than the above everything has been running good, and I think I have put more run time on this
    year than any year previous. So I'm not complaining.

Lets hear from others!

Steve

14. sharper

sharper Junior Member

Steve Please post picks and part numbers when you get a chance. I will be using simrad and the pressure manifold may also work for me when I get to the auto pilot. Thanks

15. pizzacutter

Nice to hear from U guys- Shaun & Steve... Hope to hear from others,.. Swamp? Steve, nice on stern thruster , pic please, and another :) on AP, I have been running 30+ years without,, many time I wish I had, but so far getting by without one. Shaun, U R really getting close to completion I hope. So many Modern touches to a 30+ Y/O Hull, Luv it. I am firm beliver in the 3126 Cats. My neighbor (crabber) just turned 12,000 hours and rarely misses a day on the water w/same engine. Still Hoping me and wife can make S. Fla/Bahamas this winter & get to C the Fish-Tales in person.
    For us, so far good summer, some trips up north to DE & NJ. Fall trips on Chesapeake are planned.
    Pizza Cutter is running great. Just normal serives/ belts-oil change, etc. Had a guy service trailer-brakes & bearings. Had some nice fishing trips out of OC MD, +- 145 Kmiles each trip which is about 110 running 25-33 knots and the rest trolling (one engine only-port side @ 6 knots). Average is 1.0 KMPG, never more than 5% off that for entire average. Easy to figure usage.
    Keep up the posts & pics! Lee

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.