Gelcoat over epoxy 410

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Roly, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Roly

Roly Senior Member

Gelcoat over epoxy fairing (West sys. 410)

greetings guys,
    I am on the downhill leg of my major rebuild. (finally!)
    My current quandary is the junction between the gelcoat on a new deck, and the epoxy fairing to the toe rail.
    Do I try gelcoat it or spray with 2 pack polyurethane?
    If I gelcoat it, how to I hide the junction with the molded deck gelcoat.?
    Also, its gonna have to be waxed GC meanig cut & polish, probably with a different final lustre.

If I polyurethane, will the junction hi-light after time? I tried a test spray and it feathered fine into the molded antiskid, but
    I doubt it will feather into the plain shiney gelcoat.
    What would you do?
    Obviously the junction with the toerail is a break point for the hull colour, so that is ok.
    Cheers.

Attached Files:

2. Roly

Roly Senior Member

For those that have been there, what is the best thickness plastic for over, brushed,
    non-waxed, gelcoat to get a "molded finish"?

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

You still Dicking about with that Boat deck !!
    Go and see Rex Sly or Colin at Adhesive technologies in the back of Henderson They are the most clued up people i know in the area !!
    :D

4. Roly

Roly Senior Member

yeh! Finally got time to do some sustained work on it.
    Hows China treating you? Much on?
    All the best,
    Roly

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

I thought this was you !!:p
    China is great , I left and went back to nz took one look and wahted to get back on the plane again !!Did what i had to do and went to the uk same there ,was glad to get away . I will be here in china town with all those lovely ladies and the wonderful food for as long as i can stay this time round .

Try Rex or Colin At Adhesive Technologies in the back of Henderson behind where the old Genesis place used to be , Corben avenue I think ?? they are very knowledageable about anything you want to know about glass , gel coats , paints , epoxys , polyesters etc etc .

6. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

deck edge

I wouldn't put gel/flowcoat over epoxy & 410(microlight?), not worth the risk of lack of adheasion. For what your doing the easiest way would probably be to use a white? 2K undercoat primer over the 410 masked neatly, then single sided razor scrape(70-85 degrees) the edge left by the tape, then sand(fine dry) to smooth in the primer & onto the shiny gelcoat(to make it not shiny), match some 2K finish, then using a touch up gun(the old style venturi with top trigger & hose led in the back are great for "blow ins" alt' a mini hvlp will be fine too) from on deck carefully blow in the perimeter- say 3 shots advancing inboard very slightly on each, wait a day or three depending on weather, then wet & dry & buff, if your colour is close in shade you wont see, of coarse the different finishes will weather different but by then you'll be having too much fun sailing to notice. Go to a panel/spray painters supply for all you need, often the staff are spraypainters & will give advice on thinning/technique etc(if not busy).
    If you had a poly based fairing I would use the gel/flowcoat or even use Duratech additive there.
    All the best from Jeff.

7. Roly

Roly Senior Member

Hi Jeff,
    I googled "2K" and got the following-
    "2K paint is an epoxy type paint consisting of the base plus a catalyst to start the chemical reaction that the paint needs to cure."
    (So much for wiki- epoxies don't have catalyst, they have hardener!)

Wouldn't an epoxy paint next to a polyester, yellow off & highlight the join?
    Exactly what is 2k paint?

Adhesive tech. said flowcoat would be fine as long as epoxy is 100% cured & there is
    absolutely no amine left. I was going to seal the 410 fairing with clear epoxy before
    painting anyway. Scrub, sand & topcoat. I need to do a small amount of anti-skid repair
    to the gelcoat where I put an insert into the mold to create the rebate for the hull/deck
    tabbing.
    Thanks for your advice.

8. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Hi Roly, dunno about the wiki caper but in Aus & NZ so far as I'm aware 2K is a generic name for catalysed 2 pack car paint, the gloss retention & weathering properties should be evident out on the street or slightly accelerated in marine use, fairly similar to gelcoat in that regard, try someone like this http://www.autopaintsupplies.co.nz/about-us.html if interested or if west reckon gelcoat is sweet on thier products go that way.

All the best in your endeavours from Jeff.