Euroferry Olympia & Felicity Ace

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by GIOVD, Feb 18, 2022.

1. GIOVD

GIOVD Junior Member

Hi,
    I wonder if the fire structure rules & material certifications are sufficient because of these two similar cases. It could be a sprinkler problem or insufficient maintenance of the systems.
    What do you thinks?
    Flames Engulf Grimaldi Ferry Travelling from Greece to Italy; Eight Missing https://gcaptain.com/flames-engulf-grimaldi-ferry-euroferry-olympia/
    Felicity Ace Car Carrier Continues to Burn in Mid-Atlantic - Photos https://gcaptain.com/felicity-ace-car-carrier-continues-to-burn-in-mid-atlantic/

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Fire at sea is always the worst threat because it comes from the inside. Fire on a car carrier is worse because the cars themselves are easily flammable. Throw in a lithium battery Class C and D fire on top of a 'regular' Class B from the fluids in the vehicles and you have a total mess. Depending on the cause of the fire, sprinklers on the auto decks IS NOT going to help. A simple failure that would cause someone to pull over and get out on the shoulder of the road could be devastating in the tight packed cargo hold.

fallguy and BMcF like this.
  3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

FELICITY ACE just sank today. Photos I saw had complete burn-out of her steel plating. Pretty much a Class D fire.

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I realized reading this thread there was not much dialogue. Hardiman basically nails it which can kill a thread.

If you have ever tried to put out a fire with a fire extinguisher; you quickly understand fire's [sic] power to withstand being extinguished. Please forgive my intentional bad grammar. Fire is not easy to stop. The best way to stop fires is prevention. Once they start; there are too many variables. The best way is to remove oxygen, but that can kill people. For me, the ultimate test is not whether the cargo or ship are saved, but crew.

jehardiman likes this.

5. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

GIOVD,

Thanks for asking.
    I think complacency may be the culprit.
    As fallguy says, prevention is key and complacency is not preventions friend.
    The routine on deep sea, long haul freighters can be crippling to some and sweet bliss to others.
    Throw in dangerous cargo and you've got a recipe for disaster.
    CO2 can kill fires and people, and can be the toughest decision a Capt. can make.
    And it doesn't always work.
    Like J-man says, fire is worse than flooding/sinking.

Stay diligent, stay safe... or is it stay safe, stay diligent.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.