Crimped a gauge 2 wire a new way

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by sdowney717, Jul 10, 2021.

1. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

Hammering to force fit together and a shaped die do work very well
    Better than just hammering. I have done both, once used a copper tube fitting hammered onto the ends of a wire, then drilled a holt for the bolt. It did work just fine.
    The copper fitting has to be a good fit onto the wire. The attachment end result is a lot thicker than a lug, mine ended up about 1/4" thick, always passed current without getting warm. that was a big wire, copper fitting I used was 3/4 to 1/2 inch reducer made for copper pipe with the wide end facing out for the bolt hole.
    Here in USA at AutoZone, you can 'rent' the flare tool for free. I have one bought many years ago. I never tried it for rigging, only for a few electric crimps. I made this short wire myself, used stripped strands from much smaller wire, it is bigger than 4/0
    Well I cant show the pic, it shows a dead link...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  2. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

I just got to test my two 15 foot 2 gauge wires. Had to move my Buick Roadmaster wagon, and it uses side post battery, and I dont have one. So I bolted the 2 wires to the side post cables and then bolted other end to the new boat battery and it cranked right up. So if it can crank an LT1 engine, it can crank a 2 cylinder boat generator.

3. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

test pic, somehow, the paste picture method from google photos has quit working
    [​IMG]

I added it to the album
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/DWPb7AA8wJGCzaWK6

When I edit the post, the picture shows up fine in the editor, but not after save changes on the forum page.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.