Corrugated Plastic and fiberglass

Discussion in 'Materials' started by zze86, Jul 20, 2022.

1. zze86

zze86 New Member

Searched up on google how to bond corrugated plastic (CP) and fiberglass (FG) and it led me to a few threads from here, however they were a number of years old now so I am posting to see if there might be new techniques/epoxies/resins to use to bond the two materials to create a laminate.

I'm looking to make a couple of fishing kayaks as well as a camper topper. I'm hoping to use either fiberglass or carbon fiber as an outer skin to the CP to provide some impact resistance. Possibly do multiple layers for increased buoyancy/strength.

Anyways from the research I've done, methods to bond CP-to-CP:
    Hot melt glue
    3M Plastic Adhesive
    CA glue - aka super glue
    thermal bonding/welding which looks like requires specific tooling

For the CP-to-FG bonding:
    I haven't found anything that would allow the FB or CF to bond to CP...is there anything new?
    I found this product which looks like it has a cloth side for a bonding surface. However, I have not yet reached out to them to get specifics.
    Otherwise, I thought maybe spread the epoxy the FG over the CP and vacuum, knowing that the two will not bond, but will at least create very tight tolerances. Then glue the two together. However, what glue to use?

TIA!

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Why, what problem are you solving that doesn't have an easier solution?

There may be a good reason, but you need to explain it.

3. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

I don't know of anything new, and I don't expect any because the result is not anything good. Most CP are made of PP plastic which is soft, slippery, and fairly chemically resistant. These properties make it a poor core that won't stick. The shear and compressive strength and stiffness are anisotropic, ranging from poor in one direction to nonexistent in the other. I think I have seen corrugated PVC which would be better.

What you are looking to do is normally done with special foam cores that are designed and tested for the purpose. That plastic honeycomb is a valid candidate, but if you don't have specific advantages in mind, foam core systems are the proven solution.

4. zze86

zze86 New Member

Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm hoping to make a sit-on-top fishing kayak that is foldable for easier transport (and storage). At the same time I'd like to provide some armor for the plastic for greater impact and abrasion resistance. I know once the FG or CF is laid up it's not flexible but I was thinking of making it in panels to match the folds then go over the seams with tape.

5. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

The best product for speed of build and stiffness to weight is 4-6mm plywood.

6. Scuff

Scuff Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.