Catamaran Nav Lighting

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by fallguy, Mar 8, 2022.

1. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

3743A54C-A8AF-4C7E-854D-ED5E11BB1294.jpeg I purchased nav lighting for my Skoota and there is not continuity for oncoming vessels. That is a vessel approaching dead on would only see my anchor light and may not see any port or star nav lights. The nav lights are about 15" apart on the hull sides.

Is there any legal way to run with a clearance light in the middle or say a docking light? Nav light would be on the side, here star side about 6" down and about 12" back. The middle area would be unlit then.

2. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

An opposing vessel should see your "steaming" light and your two side lights.
    If they are good quality lights, they should see all three when dead-on.
    I don't see them in your photo...

No, you cannot add more lights, legally.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
  3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I could calculate the distances, but I am a bit worried about a river fool thinking he can pass my side and not seeing the width. Maybe they'll be nervous enough with the anchor light up 16' high. As you can see, a boat passing might see the nav light on one side and never see the other one.

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

"It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
    Anonymous

Having quoted that, you can put reflective tape or plastic reflectors on both inner bows hoping it will be seen in time.

fallguy likes this.
  6. BlueBell

Did you mean 15 feet?
    I don't understand your concern.
    All I need to see when passing by you (opposed, not overtaking) red-to-red or green-to-green, is your steaming light and one side light.

7. BlueBell

Fallguy, you worry too much.

You're already going to have "toe-in" on your side lights because of your bow taper.
    In my opinion, the side lights should be mounted higher up, perhaps on the wheel house instead of on the bows.
    They are too low and vulnerable to poor visibility and damage on the bows.

8. BlueBell

Okay, now I understand what you mean.
    The centre area is lit by your steaming light.
    Sure, it may be interpreted as a stern light (but it won't because your side lights are going to visible head-on) but you're still going to be visible.

9. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Think the wheelhouse? Hmm. Gotta think about that more.

10. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

A two color light mounted on the centerline would be visible from straight ahead.
    Mounting nav lights too low is a mistake, as well as mounting them where they will glare in the helmsmans eyes.
    I don’t see the need for mounting the p/s lights as clearance lights, unless you’re navigating extremely tight channels!

11. BlueBell

Fallguy

Where ever you mount them, ensure they are parallel to the centreline of the ship and horizontal to the typical night running trim under power, sail, or both .
    That way you will meet the legal requirement of providing zero to 112.5 degrees from dead ahead to 12.5 degree abaft the beam, port and strd.
    By doing so you will insure that opposing traffic clearly understands your light signature, and therefore, your movements at night and in low lighting.

I know, and have refined my night nav skills, but can only interpret what I see.
    If you show me lights that are not configured properly, I can't accurately and repeatedly interpret your movements.
    In the event of an incident, it is not in your favour if your lights are not to spec (liability).

Your earlier proposed installation on the bows would create cross-eyeing and sizable inaccuracies.
    What's your bow angle ~36 degrees? So ~18 degrees off centre.
    That puts your right of way zone frwd by ~18 degrees and makes the side lights cross-eyed dead-ahead by the same.
    An ~18 degree inaccurate head-on signal. Don't expect me, your opposing traffic, to be able to interpret that.
    It's confusing and very probably dangerous in my opinion.

Also, the lights will not send their focused beam horizontally showing maximum brightness across the 112.5 degree arc of the horizon.
    Instead they will point down, toward the water creating glare (backscatter) and wasted signal.

A mounting platform accounting for sight lines and trim may need to be fabricated.

Hope that helps sailor and I haven't pissed you off.

fallguy likes this.

12. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Not upsetting at all. I think the bow angle is about 20 or 10% error and nearly perfectly horizontal. But I can measure and let you know. The surveyor mentioned making a plate, but I considered the cheat to possibly be good. Anyone behind me gonna see a large boat. Just the front makes me nervous to the point of thinkin I'd leave cabin lights on , on purpose.

Appreciating all the input. The wheelhouse makes me nervous some idiot in a low flying boat won't realize the size as well.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.