Carbon Fiber Chainplates

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by david@boatsmith, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Ajg2199

Ajg2199 Junior Member

Is there any concern about mixing materials? I’d assume splaying the carbon fiber could reduce the stresses, but would there still be there any risk from different stiffness/flex rates and/or elongation?

I’m also wondering how much angles are factored into the calculations. If the structure (hull or bulkhead) that the chainplate is attached to is either vertical or angled outward, does it detract from the strength of the chainplate given that the forces (shrouds) pull inward to the mast?

I’m also hoping someone can explain exactly how to calculate. I’ve looked up working load limits based on measurements of the shrouds, but I don’t know how to translate that into tensile strength and the necessary dimensions of the chainplate.