Cape Dory 24

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by fish53, Dec 22, 2018.

1. fish53

fish53 Junior Member

20tjms1 (2).jpg
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience with one of these, it's a Cape Dory 24. I have a very similar 26 foot converted motor whaleboat and I'd like to add a mast and sails to create a sort of motorsailer. I'm assuming this Cape Dory worked reasonably well otherwise I doubt they would have produced it, although they don't appear to have sold well as I believe only seventeen were produced.

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

I don't see much resemblance with the Cape Dory 24, but whaleboats were originally row-sail-boats of which the later ones had a centerboard to give them leeway resistance, so I guess you have to add that too.

3. fish53

fish53 Junior Member

Actually my whaleboat is a USCG motor whaleboat which aside from being double ended is very similar to this Cape Dory underwater. Neither one has or had a centerboard and would be much like an Albin 25 motorsailer which I would also be interested in hearing experiences about.

4. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.