Building a solar panel support structure with wood/fiberglass /epoxy

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by mariobrothers88, May 24, 2021.

1. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

Doesn't your response sort of support the arch just for solar panels idea?

This example is bulky and overkill for a high wind structure to secure solar panels. But an arch offers the best unobstructed exposure to Sunlight. The problem with sailboats and solar panels is that sailboats have great massive big wedges of sunblocking cloth sticking up in the air.

As far as hurricane force winds on an arch, the biggest problem will be the panels themselves. I suggest installing them with an easy snap-on snap-off bracket and plug to remove quickly when a big storm approaches. Hurricane force winds can sneak up on you with a sudden, but short bust, but you're much more likely to see it coming from miles away and the Sun will probably be hiding before then, so stow your panels below. Your panels will thank you and so will your helm.

BlueBell likes this.
  2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Probably on the order of 12",8",4" tabbing all around, so 6",4",2" on each side...should add

Also, straight vertical supports generally need some 45 degree or so cross supports or you'll get into some rough seas and the thing will move a bunch on top and something might break.

Curious about the roof of the cabin unless you are going all in on lotsa solar..

3. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

It does indeed but no graphics are shown of what is proposed.

4. mariobrothers88

mariobrothers88 Senior Member

Thanks for the help guys good thing I didn't build the rest of the posts yet ill change it single 2x4s for the posts with 45 degree cross supports.

5. solhagoli

solhagoli New Member

I'm thinking of using 1 layer of 17 oz biaxial fiberglass, but wanted to get your expert opinion as well
    hellodear.in

teatv.ltd

:)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  6. Plopteck

Plopteck New Member

Hey there @mariobrothers88! Even though this thread is from a few years ago, the concept of building a solar panel support structure with wood and fiberglass epoxy remains intriguing. While stainless steel and aluminum are the typical choices due to their durability and weather resistance, there's no inherent reason why wood and fiberglass epoxy can't be a viable option if executed correctly.
    If you're still considering this approach, you might want to seek additional advice and resources from SolarSmart, as they could provide updated insights and recommendations for your DIY project. Best of luck, and I hope your solar panel support structure proves successful!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2024

7. groper

groper Senior Member

i recently built this solar panel support and dingy davit for our yacht which previously had nothing on the transom. I used foam and glass, nevermind the wood!
    Sorry i dont have close up photos at this time, this pic was taking before we fit the solar panel on top.
    The 10mm solid fiberglass base plates were drilled and thru bolted thru the transom to attach it and later joined into the stainless pushpits to provide lateral stiffening. Another way of doing it would be to use long fiberglass or carbon tubes which go right thru the transom and glassed into the hull bottom thus offering a cantilever support between the hull bottom and transom thus negating any further support visible externally.
    It was rather time consuming compared to making it from metal tube in the usual manner, however it just wasnt the look we were going for. The whole thing weighs about 20kg + the solar panel and we hang our 3m RIB off it aswell

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.