Bertram 20 Engine Bay

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Tundratom, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Tundratom

Tundratom Junior Member

KapnD all good comments and I am not locked into any approach. I’ve observed a common practice of an additional layer on most Bertram 20 restorations I’ve seen over the past 3 years probably about 6 to 12 boats owners group on face book. Perhaps the age of a polyester hull, combined with removal and addition of material people are using an expoxied layer to tie everything together.

The mini stringers or beams make sense, but I was going to fill the strakes for easier laminating with less bending, so I thought there would be a place to add longitudenal reinforcement. If it’s just plane dumb, I can do mini stringers only. Comment?

I think I understand your comment about doubling up. Are you saying that cutting the stringers lower as they run close to the motor while running another set that are floor height (taller) close to them may be the answer? That they would not have to be sistered together? Lowering the height of the stringers along the engine would give me better access. I think your on to something!!

Could you give me a little more on the “generous overlap to” comment? You lost me on that.
    Sincere thanks on this.

2. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Im saying that if you expect the new, wider spaced stringers to act as more than deck supports, they must be somehow structurally tied to the exist. Offsetting stringers at the bulkhead destroys their continuity.

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

What parts of the engine are below the stringers?

If you are talking about oil changing; guys have modified that by piping a drain line.

The plugs and cap and all that are up high, so I still don't understand how changing stringers helps with engine access.

Modifying the boat for oil changes is not done.

4. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Good access is key to good maintenance!
    Did you see the pics of the old motor?
    The OP is redesigning to eliminate foolish features that the industry regularly forces on buyers.
    There’s always room for improvement, I don’t think I’ve ever had a boat that I didn’t modify,

5. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Modifying stringer locations to change oil? Come on. You even said he needs continuity.

I asked a simple question. What part of the engine access is below the stringers?

6. mudsailor

mudsailor Junior Member

What height is the floor above the keel line? what distance off centerline are the stingers?

typically on a 20ft boat floor height would be 14” to 15”, (350 to 380 mm ) which can make it hard to access under the engine from the sides (and the exhaust can get very close to the structure as well) What I would do is just lower the stringers as they go aft and if you need floor support then add a removable support (nothing fancy, a board with a couple of boats would work)

7. Tundratom

Tundratom Junior Member

Hey Guys, the focus on oil changes is a bit mis-placed. If that was my primary concern I’d bring it to a service tech. I will be doing all work going forward and have two bad shoulders, rotator cuffs. Extra space in the motorwell is not a luxury. I’ve gone back and forth on IO vs OB, and I think the expense and mods of switching to an OB is not in the cards. Thanks

8. Tundratom

Tundratom Junior Member

Hey Everyone,
    Thanks for thoughtful discussion on the engine bay. I want to start a discussion on fuel tanks, daisy chaining two tanks. Should I start a new thread under another forum or should I continue here? Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks Tundratom

9. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Please do carry on here with your questions re the fuel tanks - I think it would be easier to keep it all in one thread rather than starting a new thread every time.

Tundratom likes this.
  10. Tundratom

Tundratom Junior Member

Broke wrist Tuesday night. Things will be delayed. Thanks everyone. Will try and post fuel tank issue soon.

42D61921-556C-4006-A4E6-CDD50493D5FC.jpeg 1A051520-8FEB-43EC-93B2-0D1F47C91ED5.jpeg

11. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Oh dear, that looks like a nasty break - but some impressive engineering has gone into fixing it.
    I hope that it all heals well now, and that you are not out of action on the boat building front for too long.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.