Beaufort scale

Discussion in 'Wiki Archive' started by Trevlyns, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

Discussion thread for Beaufort scale. If you would like to add a comment, click the New Reply button

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

The article suggests that the scale - in use for at least the past seven decades is as much a sailing 'universal' reference as are Latin tags for botanists. While not deliberately designed to 'mystify' the 'outsider' it stems from the days before the more modern instruments and can in an emergency give a rough guide as to the wind force.
    The Beaufort is as much a part of sailing history as are 'Nomps; ems and ens" a part of the printers' trade. Measurements now defunct - but still with echoes in modern publishing tongue...even though few of the younger users understand their origins.
    I vote we should keep the Beaufort - even if only to raise a wry smile when young TV journalists describe the 'horrors of a force four gale....' (I've actually heard it...) :(

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This is another one of those results, when someone tries to post on the WIKI, in this case on the Beaufort Scale entry and the entry got kicked back to the main forum.

4. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

If the intent is to revise an article on the wiki (for example if one forum member spots an obvious error or typo or wants to add additional information to an article under construction) click the edit tab (or one of the section edit buttons on a multi-section article) But, if one wants to talk about an article, make comments about it, post their feedback, or question or discuss, clicking the discussion tab in the wiki creates a forum thread here in this wiki forum so as to keep the wiki pages concise and on target and leave (or lead) discussion back and forth to the forum. As far as I can see in testing, it's working as designed... maybe I am missing something.

5. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

i like it that scale um how much does a ferkin of pickled herring weigh

6. Trevlyns

Quote Jeff - moderator... As far as I can see in testing, it's working as designed... maybe I am missing something.

I'd like to know how I became the originator of this particular thread. All I did was have a look at the wiki out of curiosity – never posted a thing!

7. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

You are sure you didn't click on the discussion tab on the corresponding wiki page?

8. Trevlyns

'spose I must have done Jeff to see what was there - does that automatically make me an originator if there is no discussion present? Just curious, mind you!

9. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Yes that is how it works at present.

(I suppose it would be better if instead of auto-creating the thread the first time it took you to the newthread.php editor...)

10. Trevlyns

Sounds like a better option. It's just that I've seen other contributors raising the same thing too. Minor glitch, but it might bear looking into.
    Take care!

11. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Lazey mate, as ye well know a firkin is a measure of volume! some nine gallons of beer normally, but as there are some 252 gallons of fish in a ton (old) I'll leave you too the maths yourself (and just to confuse the issue thre be 56 lb of butter in a firkin,and [if I remember rightly] 2 gallons of potatoes is about a stone! (collected in the ubiqutious galvanised bucket!) so go play...:D

12. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

T'aint much is it, always thought the old beaufort scale covered such useful things as what 'smacks' were doing in such conditions! Also what sails the square rigger was using! Like when to take in yer stuns'ls and strike yer 'Royals' (not them Royals! Bergalia, they go below at the first sign of a blow but that's 'Keyboard sentries' for you)

13. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

we are wastin our time mate, thsi goes clean over the top,
    arrrrrrrrrrr
    now how abt me you share a hoghead sometime?

14. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

life would be pretty sweet driftin fer herrin, bergalia capt co skip you me . ginger beer

15. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Blast yer eyes... (practising for talk like a pirate day) an don't ee call me a ginger beer....
    :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.