Automobile Transmission, why not?

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by Ken Gasch, Oct 5, 2004.

1. broke_not

broke_not Junior Member

Once again...I never said it was. Do yourself a favor and re-read everything I've posted, and the manner in which you've replied. You're upset, and it's because your matter-of-fact statement was wrong. You probably find it bothersome that it's not only apparent that you were wrong, but also that when you were wrong...the manner in which you replied was condescending and dismissive.

The way in which you've attempted to turn things around since then, (and then topping it off by sounding all annoyed), is completely obvious.

This is classic as well:

Much to your chagrin, you've been proven wrong. Your reaction to that, is to talk down to the person that has proven you wrong. Perhaps if you had done some Googling yourself prior to posting your initial "all-knowing and dismissive" reply, you wouldn't be in the fix you're in now. This probably never occurred to you before, but you might not be the only one on the internet that has had an automatic transmission apart before.

Food for thought.

1 person likes this.
  2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ive given you some points for---- errrr tenacity.

3. broke_not

broke_not Junior Member

Thanks for including the "...errrr". It's just a continuation of the condescending tone you've taken all along. My tenacity is completely due to having been down this road on internet forums before.

Someone dares to contradict one of the forum's "experts", and the forum expert, (after having been proven wrong), then resorts to things like doling out backhanded compliments such as your "giving me some points for....errrr tenacity".

FYI, the strategy and techniques employed are obvious.;)

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Im a what? an Expert? wow thank you. ive given you points and said your right and im wrong and will be for ever.( not that I was but just keeping the new guy happy)

Still not good enough eh? Ive met people like you before on forums --you come along and demand immediate respect without earning it.

I have very little interest in this thread, I like a discussion --thats why I am here but if you dont mind--ille give this a mis since you only concerned in talking about me..

Sorry for the back handed point donation --Geeez,- ille remove them as soon as I'm able.

5. celticracing

celticracing New Member

Automatic Transmission, why not

Good day all! Real new around here. I've been hanging around reading for years, and came across this thread. Goes back to 2004 I know but I just thought some one might be able to take advantage of my setup. I know one should earn some respect on these forums, so do understand I'm not trying to tell anyone what's right or wrong. Just giving a piece of advice. I run a small chev in my boat, It's a 16' Glen-L Stilletto. I use a 2spd powerglide. The mods I made to an otherwise stock tranny, were a full race shift kit that increases line pressure to the clutches as well as makes the tranny full manual, meaning it won't shift from first to second on it's own, has no kickdown feature and requires no vacume from the engine. I run no torque converter. This is a kit used by circle track racers to eliminate the converter and create direct drive. I modified the pan and dropped it three inches making a larger sump because my boat lean's quite a bit on turns. I'm sure a big boat that does'nt lean would'nt need this mod. I run no cooler on the tranny because there is no heat buildup from the lack of a torque converter. The torque converter is what creates heat in an automatic transmission due to it's contant slipping. The other mod, was to eliminate the filter in the transmission and just run a fine screen. I then ran a remote filter off of the cooler lines with a spin on filter so i can perform regular service on the tranny. I built My shifter with a neutral safty switch and it works the tranny between reverse, neutral and second. I can't get into park, and I have no use for first gear being it's such a light boat, so much of these parts were discarded as they were of no use and it saves wieght and helps with rotating mass. Not much else to say. Hope this might help someone out there thinking of doing the same thing.

Ron Muirhead

waikikin likes this.
  6. 351EFI

351EFI Junior Member

Good for you in doing something "different".

I am curious as to why you did it though. If you only use direct and reverse, what did you gain from using a marine transmission?

7. celticracing

celticracing New Member

Nothing really. When I started this project the one thing I did know about boats, was that they went in the water, and that's about it! I started dealing with a supplyer here and soon came to realize, that building my boat was putting his children through college! The price he quoted me for a marine transmission (and many other parts) was stupid, so I decided to take one of the spare tranny's from my drag car and use it in my boat. I have a 355 small chev that dyno'd at just under 400 horse power, and I would guess I have about $400.00 dollars invested in the tranny and 7 years later it's never given me a lick of trouble.

8. cor

cor Senior Member

Celticracing, how is the drive line put together after the tranny? How do you carry the thrust load from the prop?

9. 351EFI

351EFI Junior Member

Then I disagree. I'd say you've gained a quite a bit. You no doubtedly learned a lot, and probably saved some money to boot. Good for you!

I didn't realize that Mercury did market a two speed transmission. I'll have to do some more research on that for interests sake. I've always thought it odd that because matching a propeller to a boat and engine combination, especially a semi displacement hulled boat, is such a compromise, there haven't been other offerings.

Take our boat for instance. It is over powered for our particular boating style. It is capable of reaching about 23 kts at full throttle and I could cruise at about 17 kts or so if I wanted, but the fuel burn is completely unreasonable at these speeds. I prefer, for many reasons, to cruise between 8 and 10 knots. The engines are lightly loaded in this range, and not particularly efficient, even though I have done about as much as I can do to improve this. It would be nice if I could run in a higher gear at lower speeds to load the engine up more for better economy. If I had a need for speed, a lower gear could be used to get full power out of the engine. I may be able to swing a larger diameter prop too.

In theory at least, lots of possibilities, but totally impractical from a logistical and cost point of view.

10. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Mercury marketed a 2 speed, I dont think so?

11. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

they did have a 2 speed sterndrive. i think zf supplied the trans and it looked like a thick plate on the back of the engine, very neat and compact.

12. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

13. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

the fact that Merc didnt have a multi speed solution is why they lobbied and had it banned in all offshore racing
    There were several companies makeing multi speed boxes and they were all on shaft drive boats and beating sterndrives.
    No reason why Merc couldnt get someone but cant seem to find any info on it
    except for the extra torque created in low gears would exceed the sterndrives capability on a race engine no doubt?

( they did have a multispeed outboard in testing)
    you are right, found it
    It was called a Black-Trac was tested on bravo 3 as in heavy boats in 97 model year looks like in house built?
    not sure it if went into production? $3000 option so maybe that killed it?

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Surface drives need a lot of torque to get out of the hole because the props are so big. Once its up the top of the props dry out and it then needs RPM-HP.

A 2 speed trannie for this is ideal. I heard of these in offshore boats 35 years ago.

Might also help a ski boat for multiple skiiers.

15. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

they used many in the californian style huge ski boats from years ago, 3 speed auto boxes, they needed them

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.