Are there small Hybrid electric sailboats?

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by Howlandwoodworks, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Howlandwoodworks

Howlandwoodworks Member

I would like to leave the dock and return under electric power and for emergency usage and longer cruises use the internal combustion engine.
    Like a Prius.

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Realistically, they are space and weight inefficient. I know I could maneuver my Ranger 26 (Mull) sailboat anywhere I wanted to without lowering the 9.9 Honda 4-stroke unless I wanted to go dead upwind for hours. Sailboats have easily driven hulls, just need to work them like they did 100 years ago.

3. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Not a problem, just costs money. Off the shelf solutions are available.

4. Howlandwoodworks

Howlandwoodworks Member

Never had an affinity for breathing CO2 at the end of my sail and sometimes that is the only option.

Here are some options for EV unit that coupling between motor and transmission making a Hybrid system
    Electric Inboard Boat Motors - Plugboats https://plugboats.com/electric-inboard-boat-motors-guide-over-150-motors/

Looked at the Thunderstruck options for EV system only.
    Sailboat Kits & Accessories https://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/electric-sailboat-kits-and-accessories-inboard-motor-ev/

jehardiman,
    I agree that the material and labor cost are still prohibitive in most cases and that is the worst place to try to do anything on most boats.
    I would rather just go sailing and use the old diesel engine for now. But always looking for options.

5. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Realistically, I think it is how far you want to go. The are several Lithium Polymer based kickers on the market. For under a mile I think you would have no problem making a DIY kicker using rechargeable tool tech. Long distance.... that is a whole other matter.

6. tkk

tkk Junior Member

I use a 24V outboard with 86lbs thrust to leave and return to marina on batteries. For longer motoring I have a 24V alternator run by a chinese single cylinder Honda copy as a "range extender". More or less similar things seem to be commercially available today. Standard AC generators don't make sense because of pointless AC-DC and voltage conversions.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.