alignment issues

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by clark, Apr 20, 2020.

1. clark

clark New Member

Hi, I recently installed a pre alpha sterndrive and motor in my 1989 Sunbird cuddy 188. I am having trouble getting the drive shaft to go in all the way. It goes in about an inch then stops. I have raised the motor up and down with my hoist, but still no go. I have tried everything, and have run out of ideas. I am a licensed automotive technician, and can usually figure out most problems, but this one has got me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Welcome to the Forum Clark.

I don't have any bright suggestions for you, but I am sure that other folk on here will.
    In the meantime do you have any photos that you could post of the set-up?
    The photos might help potential contributors a bit to understand what is going on.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That means the rear mounts are collapsed. You need to change the mounts that are on the flywheel cover.

4. clark

clark New Member

They do look bad, and i noticed that one of the metal sleeves in the center is down lower than the other, so i am ordering new ones along with new fibre washers, crossing my fingers as this is giving me fits. Thanks for your input, it is greatly appreciated

5. clark

clark New Member

I will give it a try. Thanks for the welcome, as this is such a difficult time for all

bajansailor likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.