42' Monk Motorsailer

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by eej, Jul 12, 2016.

1. eej

eej New Member

We recently became the latest caretakers of this lovely 1960 Ed Monk Sr. motorsailer. She was built in Ballard, WA in 1960, by a yard that had apparently done work on minesweepers during WWII called Seattle Shipbuilding; there's not much info I can find on this yard. The lead shipwright was called Leon Weis(s).

Madeline
    LOD 42'-6"
    Beam 12'-0"
    Disp 18 tons
    Sail area 470 sq. ft. ??
    Power 50 hp Buda 6BDM-230 diesel

There is a similar vessel in 'Ed Monk and the Tradition of Classic Boats' called 'Mikay IV' but she is cutter rigged and as a result the rig is farther forward with a bowsprit. It seems likely the lines are the same as 'Madeline'.

Lots to do on this boat to keep her alive; I hope I'm equal to it!

Eric

Attached Files:

2. Pcmccarthy

Pcmccarthy New Member

I’m curious how your project came along. I lived aboard a similar Monk motorsailor for several years and have a special heart for the beauty of that design.

3. phillysailor

phillysailor Junior Member

I really like the layout of this boat, especially the semi-open pilothouse. Very practical, good sun protection and ventilation, and puts watch standers in the middle of the boat with good visibility under way and when docking.

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.