3m 4200

Discussion in 'Materials' started by perry2222, Mar 17, 2022.

1. perry2222

perry2222 Junior Member

I read good things about this, but its a bit hard to get in Australia. I have seen some but the use by date was fast approaching. Wondering if there are equivalents in other brands. Sika tried to tell me that their 291 was about the same but the product sheet didnt convince me.

2. perry2222

perry2222 Junior Member

Sorry should have said, I want to re-do the bedding on some hatches, and perhaps re-attach the rubbing strip on my inflatable that is flapping about and has a lot of PO attempts to glue it on.

3. revintage

revintage Senior Member

4. perry2222

perry2222 Junior Member

Thank You Revintage. I rather had my doubts when I saw 291 described as an interior product. This is great information.

revintage likes this.
  5. perry2222

perry2222 Junior Member

Amazing. that was a good article but in Australia virtually none of these are available. I can get 292 but only if I order a carton from OS. The 3m is really hard to get and the one place I found it a few months ago made special orders for it (probably why the one I saw was about to expire), I went down the list and even Bostik was unknown. The brand is known but they dont have the one in the test and when I rang up the company they told me they didnt carry anything that was good for fibreglass. I feel like I am back on an island, which I guess, I am.

6. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

For rebedding hatches you can try a polysulfide instead of a PU, or butyl. Ask around what is used in your area, there must be a commonly available product, this is a frequent job for yards. To reattach the rubbing strip buy a specialized adhesive for flexible PVC or hypalon (depends on what your inflatable is made from).

bajansailor likes this.
  7. perry2222

perry2222 Junior Member

yep I plan to ask about, you're right - there must be! The rubbing strip is a mess lots of lumps of poorly applied glue. And the thing is unattached for a few meters all together. Thought I'd try something else fast and nasty to glue it on

8. revintage

revintage Senior Member

9. rangebowdrie

rangebowdrie Senior Member

In many cases successful re-bedding jobs of all kinds of hardware can be accomplished with the product "Dolphinite".
    Totally waterproof, but easily dis-assembled, it's not just for wood.
    It's not an adhesive, but for applications that see little movement it gives good service.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.